Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > All-In-One BIAB Brew Stand

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

[Note: Grain dust consists of 60-75% organic materials (cereal grains) and 25-40% inorganic materials (soil), and includes fertilizers, pesticides, and microorganisms.]

You've heard the expression - don't sh*t were you eat !

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
jerdes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc

You've heard the expression don't sh*t were you eat !
This cdc page is in reference to grain dust in a agricultural context and really doesn't relate to malted barley at all.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
itzkramer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I researched my statement by reading every thread I could find on here about bacteria on grain, infections from grain, lactose from grain, where to crush grain, ect. In general, members that HAD infections, possibly from grain, gave less information on their process than members that didn't and also milled grain nearby. Am I going to cite EVERY thread I went through? No. You spend the 3 hours searching the forums like I did.

BEER:30 Brewing
Cleveland, OH

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
itzkramer
Recipes 

Also. I'm not tempting fate. If you read my previous posts you would see that even though I made the mistake of milling grains into my primary fermentor before I mashed.....because it was my FIRST all grain batch.....I still followed up by using proper cleaning and sanitation procedures and the beer turned out fine.

If you dont want to tempt 'fate' then you can rub yourself with lotion like that jackass on YouTube.

Cleveland, OH

Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post
Also. I'm not tempting fate. If you read my previous posts you would see that even though I made the mistake of milling grains into my primary fermentor before I mashed.....because it was my FIRST all grain batch.....I still followed up by using proper cleaning and sanitation procedures and the beer turned out fine.

If you dont want to tempt 'fate' then you can rub yourself with lotion like that jackass on YouTube.
Chill out. You asked for advice, and you got it. If you don't like it, that's cool. You certainly don't have to take anybody's advice. You can do whatever you'd like.

But some of us have lots and lots of experience and speak from that.

I sometimes have to crush where I store fermenters. That sucks, and it makes me bleach bomb them. I've only had a couple of lacto infections over the years, but pouring out $50 worth of three week old beer because of a lacto infection almost made me cry!

Now, when I take my crushed grain into my brewery, I carefully dough in, trying not to get dust all over the place, and then I even haul the empty grain container back to the basement milling area right away.

You certainly don't have to heed anyone's advice. That's up to you. That's the great thing about brewing your own!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #16
itzkramer
Recipes 

I was only being a dic* because I did my research, posted a comment on said research, and I get a dic* comments back about making up statements out of thin air.

I also obviously stated that I wasn't going to buy into the grain milling, and other, myths. So instead of starting arguments about said subjects, and proposing that I make up lies, I will gladly accept other advice from experienced brewers about the intended subject.

Cleveland, OH

Old 08-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #17
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post
I researched my statement by reading every thread I could find on here about bacteria on grain, infections from grain, lactose from grain, where to crush grain, ect. In general, members that HAD infections, possibly from grain, gave less information on their process than members that didn't and also milled grain nearby. Am I going to cite EVERY thread I went through? No. You spend the 3 hours searching the forums like I did.
Not calling you a liar really. It's just that I don't believe you. You can decide for yourself if there is a difference or not. Oh yeah, don't forget to wash your hands dickwad!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #18
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Apparently you didn't get the message the first time.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply