Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > All the major parts finally on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
kklowell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default All the major parts finally on the way

My eHerms setup recently made it to the front burner and took priority over my other projects. IN the past month it went from a bare stand and some 15 gallon stainless containers to a completed Igloo cooler MLT, a 5500 watt MLT with a DIY sight glass, a stand with a water filter setup, a 1500 watt, 2-gallon eHerms, and a large collection of small parts, including the PID and one SSR. Between Friday night and now I've also ordered two 40A SSRs, two more heatsinks, 2 30a dryer cords and outlets, the estop switch and two probe type K thermocouples. I plan to use the one PID and switch the thermocouples and SSRs being controled.
This thing started as an exercise in building a really low bucks eBrewery and control panel but will end up taking a lot more money to complete than I would have guessed. All the fittings are brass, the plumbing will be rigid copper or copper/cpvc. When it's done I'll add the costs up and never share that info with SWMBO.
Tomorrow I'll run the 240 line and wire up the spa panel and 4-prong outlet.

Reason: reduced picture size

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Looking nice can't wait to see finished product. What the wrapping on the kettle? Also, where'd you source the 15 gal stainless container from? Looks like a milk container almost. If it's cheap enough I would drive out to Lowell from Springfield for sure! lol

Is that HERMS a galvanized container?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
kklowell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The foam rubber on the HLT is a cheap exercise mat from Christmas tree shops...it was $5, is almost 1/4" thick and is blue...couldn't leave the store without it. The herms tank is a beverage bucket from the Target after-Halloween sale...the little tag on it says, "Halloween Brew", and it was $7. It has a clear plastic coating on it...which was a bummer to scrape off for the grounding screw. I don't really care what it is though, the water in it is only for heat transfer and never touches the wort.
I got those stainless milk-can-looking containers from a friend at work. He used them to store the wine he makes, but has switched to some other type of storage. They started life as a container for Olive oil. They are quite thin, I HOPE they work for my purpose, but if they don't I have a keg standing by to use for the BK. They are 15 gallon containers, which is sweet.They have a 1/2" pipe thread fitting in the bottom of the side too.
I will be boiling water in both of them for an extended period of time before I make the first batch, just to make certain they are free of any wine residue.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
yessri
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
Looking nice can't wait to see finished product. What the wrapping on the kettle? Also, where'd you source the 15 gal stainless container from? Looks like a milk container almost. If it's cheap enough I would drive out to Lowell from Springfield for sure! lol
15 gal stainless is probably this: Stainless Fusti Tank - 14 Gallon | MoreWine

Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
kklowell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That sure looks like it, except the bottom of the Fusti seems to have a "bumper" of some type on it, which mine does not. Cool to see that they cost that much...I got mine for free.

Quick Reply