Age of Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorro

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for a freezer so that I can make my kegerator. I have a couple of offers for (believe it or not) free freezers from people who are older and their family doesn't need a big-old freezer anymore...

So, here's my question:
How old is too old - in terms of a freezer? The freezers are about 20 some years old. If it works, will it matter much? Or, should I just suck it up and buy a new freezer from the store?

Free is Free in my opinion. If it works right now, who cares if it breaks in a month or 10 years. Only thing I would have reservations about is building a large scale project around it. Where if it does break and need replacing finding another with the same exact dimensions might be difficult.

Freezers from 20 years ago are huge energy hogs. They're probably pretty good for doing a hill billy lager sorta thing were you freeze milk cartons full of ice and use that to cool, but otherwise I'd stay away from them. You not really getting a deal if you plug them in.

Freezers from 20 years ago are huge energy hogs. They're probably pretty good for doing a hill billy lager sorta thing were you freeze milk cartons full of ice and use that to cool, but otherwise I'd stay away from them. You not really getting a deal if you plug them in.

I use my old one for a ferm chamber and have noticed no difference on our electric bill

Back