The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > AG full boil w/ turkey fryer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Deuce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AG full boil w/ turkey fryer?

Okay so here shortly I am going to go to all grain. I have converted a 10 gallon cooler into my lauter tun. I am planning on using my 16qt stainless steel pot for heating up my striking water and sparge water. My question is this. Have any of you bought a turkey fryer w/ 30 qt aluminum pot and used that for your full boils? I live in texas so in the summer ill be doing this in the garage so it will be pretty warm. I know most of the fryers have a btu rating of about 35,000. Also, planning on building an wort chiller, any ideas as to what to coil it around to form it? Thanks guys!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
hammer one

Recipes 

Turkey fryers are the cheapest way to a full boil. Remember to build a oxide layer before you do your first boil.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

And insulating your brewpot with duct insulation will help you achieve/maintain your full boil as well. Just be sure to use the flashing tape around the edges of the duct insulation.
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use one everytime I brew. It works great. Mine was a cheap made in china brand. I bought it on craigslist brand new, never been opened for 25 bucks. I love it. That pot works well on the stove top too. The heat transfer is great. As for the chiller coil. I use a corny keg as a mold.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
Deuce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer one View Post
Turkey fryers are the cheapest way to a full boil. Remember to build a oxide layer before you do your first boil.
And how is this accomplished? Do i boil something other than wort in it prior to use?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
Deuce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
And insulating your brewpot with duct insulation will help you achieve/maintain your full boil as well. Just be sure to use the flashing tape around the edges of the duct insulation.
-Me
Are you talking about the isluation with the "heat barrier" aluminum covering the batting? This is a good idea, I was also looking into this radiant barrier stuff that I wrapped my hot water heater in this winter.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have the Bayou classic 30qt aluminum pot and burner. Haven't had to do any modifications to help it reach or maintain full boil. Even in 17F weather on last brew day, it got to boil and stayed with no problems at all. I think there are pics in my gallery of my brew setup. It works, well.

With that said, be VERY careful of boilovers in a 30qt pot for 5gal batches. You start with more than 5gal of wort and boil it down. I have a fan trained on the top of my pot and a squirt bottle of filtered water on hand.

Have you developed some way to control fermentation temps? Getting those dialed in and controlled will help no mater what method you use to make wort.

For your wort chiller, an easy way is to wrap around a corny keg. Search the sight with the drop down menu at the top or head to the equpiment section and look at all the pic's in DIY there. Things you haven't even dreamed of yet and folks are making them and doing show & tell in that forum.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runyank View Post
Are you talking about the isluation with the "heat barrier" aluminum covering the batting? This is a good idea, I was also looking into this radiant barrier stuff that I wrapped my hot water heater in this winter.
Yessir - thats exactly what I use for my pot. But like I said, make sure you wrap the edges with flashing tape (aluminum tape) otherwise that stuff will burrrrrrrrrrn. Ive had some nasty (interesting) outdoor fires before I did that and had to reinsulate my pot.
-Me

Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #9
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runyank View Post
And how is this accomplished? Do i boil something other than wort in it prior to use?
Just boil some water in it first to get that nice 'whitish film' on it. You will be good to go then!
-Me

Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Deuce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelBrew View Post
I have the Bayou classic 30qt aluminum pot and burner. Haven't had to do any modifications to help it reach or maintain full boil. Even in 17F weather on last brew day, it got to boil and stayed with no problems at all. I think there are pics in my gallery of my brew setup. It works, well.

With that said, be VERY careful of boilovers in a 30qt pot for 5gal batches. You start with more than 5gal of wort and boil it down. I have a fan trained on the top of my pot and a squirt bottle of filtered water on hand.

Have you developed some way to control fermentation temps? Getting those dialed in and controlled will help no mater what method you use to make wort.

For your wort chiller, an easy way is to wrap around a corny keg. Search the sight with the drop down menu at the top or head to the equpiment section and look at all the pic's in DIY there. Things you haven't even dreamed of yet and folks are making them and doing show & tell in that forum.
Yeah usually dont you start out with about 6.5 gallons of wort and boil it down to 5 gallons? I guess that only leaves a gallon of head room. Also, is it hard to control the temps on the turkey fryers, I noticed most of them come with a long thermometer, which is a bonus. Also, do they use alot of propane for doing full boils, eg. boiling striking water, sparge water, and then full boil?

Quick Reply