New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > An affordable option to building an all electric system?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Another thing I love about electric. No two people agree on any setup. Pol thread here we come.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
erik
Recipes 

Take a look here http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/. The first post is all about setting up the kettles, but I'll bet they'll do a control box, etc. post in the (near?) future.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Here, http://www.brewmation.com/Elements.html

Crap I could buy the whole setup for what he wants for some of those.
I think the unit for $599 would be the one you want. That would leave you $1000 for stand, kegs, pipes, pump, and misc connectors.

If you compare that to the full system you originally posted about. You would have a much nicer system. I would venture to say you would end up lower than $1500 total if you went this route.

I think in my opinion given your electrical knowledge. That would be the ticket. After buying wire, switches, controllers, connectors, and misc other parts. My control system was the most expensive part of my build. What they are offering is a pretty good system. You are pretty much getting exactly what I have on my system as far as control features.

Edit: After looking at it a bit more. The features of the $799 unit is more like what I have. This is a bit pricey. I bet I only have about $400 in all my parts.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Last edited by Brewmoor; 05-13-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I think the unit for $599 would be the one you want. That would leave you $1000 for stand, kegs, pipes, pump, and misc connectors.

If you compare that to the full system you originally posted about. You would have a much nicer system. I would venture to say you would end up lower than $1500 total if you went this route.

I think in my opinion given your electrical knowledge. That would be the ticket. After buying wire, switches, controllers, connectors, and misc other parts. My control system was the most expensive part of my build. What they are offering is a pretty good system. You are pretty much getting exactly what I have on my system as far as control features.

Edit: After looking at it a bit more. The features of the $799 unit is more like what I have. This is a bit pricey. I bet I only have about $400 in all my parts.

Something to think about. Who wants to build me one?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Something to think about. Who wants to build me one?
Sparta, Tn? Darn shame. Wish you were closer. The build is not all that difficult. But, IMHO, it requires some hands on to make sure that all of the safety considerations are accounted for in the process.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #26
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Sparta, Tn? Darn shame. Wish you were closer. The build is not all that difficult. But, IMHO, it requires some hands on to make sure that all of the safety considerations are accounted for in the process.
+1 I would have no problem building one if you could be here to help and understand. That is just too much liability.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner65 View Post
I recommend research and learn. If you buy a pre-built system you wont be able to repair it if you have no knowledge of it.
+1 to that.

Not just repair, but safety as well. What you're dealing with could kill you.

I know that you are an intelligent man; therefore, you could easily learn the necessary theory. Start playing around with the electrical components on your own (which is fun!) before dealing with an entire complex electrical system.

If you won't bother to learn the fundamentals, then don't proceed to buy it. You don't need an electrical system, especially if you're not willing to understand how it works.

Good luck, and keep it safe, bro.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #28
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
+1 to that.

Not just repair, but safety as well. What you're dealing with could kill you.

I know that you are an intelligent man; therefore, you could easily learn the necessary theory. Start playing around with the electrical components on your own (which is fun!) before dealing with an entire complex electrical system.

If you won't bother to learn the fundamentals, then don't proceed to buy it. You don't need an electrical system, especially if you're not willing to understand how it works.

Good luck, and keep it safe, bro.
I am not so sure I agree with you on this. Everyday housewives turn on their electric stoves and microwaves with boiling fluid in them. They do not need to know the hows and whys of the device they are using. Why should brewing be any different. I bet most commercial brewers do not really know how their equipment works. When it breaks they call in the repairman.

Expecting everyone to know as much as designers and builders does seem a little bit of a reach. Though we have some safeguards in place like UL listings and such, but overall people have other things to deal with then learning complicated details. They just need their products to work.

Though I agree it is in your best interest to know much of these things. I don't believe they are required. Another dangerous "thing" many people use is a car. Sure some of us tinker and modify. Most just turn the key.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I am not so sure I agree with you on this.
Well said! I'm not an idiot. I have a class A CDL, I've build 3 homes from the ground up. I can pour and finish cement, and chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

Plus my dad is a licensed electrician. I just don't know the technical in's and out's of a partially automated electric brewery. It's mostly a lingo/sourcing problem. I'm starting to see why the POl ran off.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #30
HogwashBrewster
Recipes 

Default High Gravity

I was at High Gravity last Sunday at an all-grain class. They demonstrate with that very system. It works like a dream. I am slowly converting over to electric and emulating their system as closely as I can.

Quick Reply