Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > An affordable option to building an all electric system?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default An affordable option to building an all electric system?

I want to go all electric, unfortunately I have zero electrical knowledge. I could build you a house but can't tell you why your lights turn on.

There isn't much in the way of all electric brewing that isn't super expensive. Until I found High Gravity. They have some neat systems that range from around $1400 to $2100 complete (minus the chiller and stand). I need the electric experts to have a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...ewery-c269.htm

I called them they are legit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

That's pretty cool! I didn't know anyone was assembling kits like this

<Go-Go Gadget Contrarian>
But, if you do the math, you can get (2) 20G Boilermakers for $800, the false bottom for $90, and a March pump for $100

That would leave you $500.00 for hoses and fittings, and it's all 20 gallon Blingmann

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin...

I don't like paying people to collect items I can buy myself, just to resell them to me mostly unmodified. You could put your electrical fears at ease if you can track down a handy friend, or local helpful HBT member.

My $.02

I'm in the same boat - Just got my annual bump from our employees in Washing DC, and I've been eyeballin some 20G Bling

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 05-13-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you are not comfortable building an electric system yourself then this is a good choice. Though like sweetsounds said. You could go other ways. Nice shiny kettles are nice but when you wrap them with insulation they look just as nice as a $50 converted keg.

I was able to make my complete system for about $1500. That includes a lot of things that are not in that kit. You will want a stand. You might want faster heating too. I heat my water in my kettle with 5500w. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to mash in temps. They are using weldless fittings not welded. Welds can be cheaper if you braze them yourself. There are lots of other little things that can save you money.

Overall though. I think it is a great system. If it were me though and I did not have the ability to build it myself. I would buy the mini-brew system. Save some money by buying the plastic tanks. Then you can upgrade later to three kegs and complete the system. Using their electronics.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

If I could figure out how to replicate that control box I could do the rest my self.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If I could figure out how to replicate that control box I could do the rest my self.
I have been thinking the same thing, that seems to be the 1 thing keeping me from using electric with my set up.

damn I gotta brew something

Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Looks like nothing more than a PWM driven SSR to regulate power to the element - maybe $40 in parts. Most brewers would prefer to have some sort of temperature control in their systems and use off-the-shelf PID controllers that are even easier to wire up. If you really have your heart set on just a dial control for the kettle alone, I know various PWM designs has been written up here a number of times.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Looks like nothing more than a PWM driven SSR to regulate power to the element - maybe $40 in parts. Most brewers would prefer to have some sort of temperature control in their systems and use off-the-shelf PID controllers that are even easier to wire up. If you really have your heart set on just a dial control for the kettle alone, I know various PWM designs has been written up here a number of times.

Gee thanks. I suppose your electrical knowledge is better than your reading comprehension.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Gee thanks. I suppose your electrical knowledge is better than your reading comprehension.
Care to rephrase?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
erik
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Care to rephrase?
He is saying that he has zero knowledge of how to do electrical work, and wouldn't know where to start.

wildwest, I think the best option is to look around and figure out exactly what you want and then start asking here for help to plan it. There are some talented (and helpful) people with good electrical skills that could help you put together a control box that does what you want.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I believe there is someone out there making control just control boxes. I seem to remember seeing them somewhere. Though they were pricey. Like $500.

There may even be someone on the forum that would make you one for a small fee. If I had the extra time i would help you out. I can sell you a PWM though. It is a very simple design. You would have to figure out how to get 12v dc to it and how to wire up the SSR.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Quick Reply