Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
jcalisi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default aeration

Has anyone every tried to use a CPAP for aeration. For those that don't know what a CPAP is its for folks with sleep apnea and is basically a digitally controlled filtered air pump that is used to push air down your throat to keep it open. It would still require an inline filter too not to mention getting the hose converted down to 3/8 for the stone could prove challenging.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to give it a try so I went ahead and bought the oxygen reg and hose with the .5 stone. Maybe if I get some free time I'll see how bad it foams.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it or if you think it would be worth the effort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
mvdilts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hmm...interesting concept...assuming that you use the CPAP for its intended purpose as well as this experiment I'd think you should acquire an additional hose...as far as reducing the hose down to 3/8" I think it may be possible using something like one of those reducer hoses used for dishwasher connections and then possibly some brass fittings and hose clamps (or order stainless)...damnit now I'm going to spend my weekend going to hardware stores to see what parts would be needed
Another question would be whether the pressure from the CPAP is providing enough aeration (or perhaps too much).
I say it is worth a shot at least...

"Boredom leads to tinkering. Tinkering leads to Rube Goldberg like brewing setups." - Yoda on homebrewing. (thanks to DarthBeer)

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
jcalisi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its my older one that just sits in the closet so it could be dedicated for that. Also, I can adjust the pressure and now that I think about it it also has injection points for o2. Maybe good for inline aeration if I ever get my act together and put my brewery together.

Tags
aeration

Quick Reply