Adding some more keezer love
There's gotta be over 100 threads on keezer builds...so i figured, hell, why not another one!
I just recently decided i wanted to start kegging (tired of bottling 2+ cases at a time) and of course i had to make a good looking keezer (with coffin) to go with it...My main issue with most coffin keezers is they look to be a bit heavy.
Since i plan on moving sometime in the next year or two, I wanted to build something that was a bit lighter, that i could easily break apart (the "skin") in case i want it to match a room in my new house, and i also want the ability to be able to change the "face" of the coffin (where the taps go) with ease (on the fly perhaps) since i only have a setup for one keg (plan on upgrading in the future).
Here's what I plan on doing/using:
Without further ado, let's get started.
Started with the base:
Next i used 2*3's for the framing:
Removed the old thermostat:
And now we wire in the temp controller:
Tested it and it works great!
That's all I've got for right now - I'll be mounting the lid either during the week or this weekend if i get a chance...I can't wait to finish this up!
Any suggestions are welcome!
I was looking for a reason to buy a nifty Kreg jig, now I have one. :mug:
Great photos of the base and framing. Looking foward to how the side panels and top are constructed.
Got the lid mounted over the weekend... unfortunately i didn't give full thought to what I was doing. I measured where i wanted the holes, but didn't take into account of the plastic linear thats on the under side of the lid :o lol...oh well. I'll just be lining the inside of the lid with that sticky foam vent insulation stuff...just keep this in mind if you do this yourself.
The lid is held on with T-nuts, bolts, and oversize washers. Got the idea from Hoppopotomus and his keezer build...except he actually took the time to account for the plastic linear on the underside lol
A great start! Especially like the Kreg pocket holes. Looking forward to your progress.
Time for a little update.
I've been a bit busy/lazy so haven't exactly completed too much with the keezer. Looking back at how I framed it out, I wish I had done it differently. Instead of using the pocket holes I should have framed it like you would a wall. Would have made for a much sturdier keezer.
I also decided to change the "skin" of it. Instead of using the lightweight thin plywood, I decided to use 1x4s and stain them for a more old-school feel and add structural stability. So far, I'm liking how it looks.
I've framed out the coffin and drilled a hole for the lines (pics to come).
What's left to do:
Annnnd another update. Finally started to put the planks on last night. I'm liking the way it looks!
Got a fair amount finished today...the front and sides are all paneled up and i installed the temp controller! Started working on the coffin, got the sides finished, and am in the process of building a door for the back.
Still need to panel the front and top of the coffin as well as drill 2 air exchange holes...this thing didnt turn out absolutely perfect, but for my first keezer, i can live with the imperfections.
So just a quick update...I'm going to have to scrap this project and start over.
I was under the impression that I could fit 2 kegs side by side in my keezer, but as it turns out, i can't (need about an extra 2 inches of space).
So with that in mind i'm planning on adding a collar to the freezer itself so that i can store one keg on the hump and the other on the bottom. I still plan on having a removable face plate (where the taps will be) but I will be completely redoing the framing to make it a bit more solid (no more pocket screws) and obviously a little taller to accomodate the collar.
Depending how the money situation goes, I plan on having it finished late spring/early summer. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated!
|All times are GMT. The time now is 01:33 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.