Adding second pump... Chugger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Looking to add a second pump. I currently have a March 815, but for $50 less, I was seeing the Chugger which looks to have the same specs. Which route should I go? Go with the matching March pumps, or go with the cheaper Chugger?

Thanks!

Id go with matching. The only reason being, I like to keep some spare parts around "just in case". I would want to keep 2 different sets around.

I would go with the chugger and get the stainless steel head. I have two of them and they work great. I believe the heads can be used on the March as well, but do some searching on here before taking my word on it as I think I read it here and do not have a March to try it on. Either way you go, you are going to really enjoy brewing with a second pump!

Cheers!

Thats the route I was leaning towards.. My thought was to go with the base Chugger and then upgrade both pumps with the SS heads w/ center inlets. I noticed Williams Brewing sells them and they are listed as Chugger/March heads so I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable.

I recently added a second pump, I already had a March and wanted to get another one but I got a great deal on a Chugger so went with that. I also ordered a second ss head from them and it fits perfectly on the March pump.
One cool thing that I didn't know until mounting time is that the cords come out on different sides of the pump bodies so when I mounted them on my stand I had each cord angled to the middle which made it easy to run the cords straight into the switch box without looping one around.
The one thing I will say about the March is that it runs a lot quieter, other than that both pumps seem to have the same performance.

Thats the route I was leaning towards.. My thought was to go with the base Chugger and then upgrade both pumps with the SS heads w/ center inlets. I noticed Williams Brewing sells them and they are listed as Chugger/March heads so I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable.

I'm not following you. The Chuggers with center SS head are $145. The center replacement head, which you could buy and bolt on to the March 815 is $54 which you could do at any point. When you say "base chugger" did you mean the plastic head model? Why waste the money on the $99 pump + new head?

Yes, Chugger heads are 100% interchangeable with March.

On the issue of motor noise, it seems to be completely isolated to each unit. Some are just louder than others. We had a chugger running on the table at NHC and no one even knew it was running. Many people mentioned that their March is louder.

I'm not following you. The Chuggers with center SS head are $145. The center replacement head, which you could buy and bolt on to the March 815 is $54 which you could do at any point. When you say "base chugger" did you mean the plastic head model? Why waste the money on the $99 pump + new head?

Yes, Chugger heads are 100% interchangeable with March.

On the issue of motor noise, it seems to be completely isolated to each unit. Some are just louder than others. We had a chugger running on the table at NHC and no one even knew it was running. Many people mentioned that their March is louder.

Man, wished I would have seen this a few minutes ago. When I was looking around, all I could find was the plastic head version, or the standard SS head version. I couldnt find any with the center inlet, so thats why I was saying I was wanting to replace the head on it.

I bought a Chugger a few months ago to replace my aging Teel Pump. I bought the stainless model and used it for the first time yesterday. It worked great and it was mounted upside down. My 1990s Teel now pumps ice water from my CLT to my 40-plate heat exchanger. The Teel did not like being mounted upside down.

All I have to say is Chugger's customer service has gone beyond the call of duty for me. That said, Walter at March has personally been extremely helpful, as well as to the larger community. You cannot go wrong either way IMO.

All our heads will fit March 809 and 815 pumps

QUOTE=stonebrewer;5340360]I would go with the chugger and get the stainless steel head. I have two of them and they work great. I believe the heads can be used on the March as well, but do some searching on here before taking my word on it as I think I read it here and do not have a March to try it on. Either way you go, you are going to really enjoy brewing with a second pump!

Cheers![/QUOTE]

All our heads will fit March 809 and 815 pumps

QUOTE=stonebrewer;5340360]I would go with the chugger and get the stainless steel head. I have two of them and they work great. I believe the heads can be used on the March as well, but do some searching on here before taking my word on it as I think I read it here and do not have a March to try it on. Either way you go, you are going to really enjoy brewing with a second pump!

Cheers!
[/QUOTE]

Received my pump and heads. I'm assuming with the center inlet head, the output can be positioned that it is pointing up, correct?

Yes

Received my pump and heads. I'm assuming with the center inlet head, the output can be positioned that it is pointing up, correct?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how your going to mount your new pump, but if you look at the way it comes, the outlet of the pump is in the up position. Get on Chuggers mailing list because they have specials now and then, if your looking for another pump? (like March madness sale).

I don't know how your going to mount your new pump, but if you look at the way it comes, the outlet of the pump is in the up position. Get on Chuggers mailing list because they have specials now and then, if your looking for another pump? (like March madness sale).

Mine came with the L/R inlet and I switched over to the center inlet style head.

What ever head you choose, the discharge part of the head should be on top (not necessarily pointing up) I think?

Back