Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > AC to DC for wiper motor!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Default AC to DC for wiper motor!

OKAY, so I am using 120V AC power for my electric HERMS, but I am contmplating using a DC wiper motor for my water stirrer. If I wanted to do this, how do I get my 120VAC to 24VDC and connect it to this motor? Is this more trouble than it is worth? I can buy a 120V motor from McMaster Carr for $53, and it would be plug and play so to speak!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am wondering if that motor would have enough torque under that duty? That would be something to look up. Especially if you make thick mashes. I think that question should be answered first, if it will then you should be able to get a converter off the shelf...but it may cost you ballpark the same amount.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

you can get 24vdc from an old PC power supply or many laptop power supplies, some other electronics use 24vdc power cubes. Im sure you could also find something cheap online. The easiest solution would be the PC power supply, they should be able to handle any load the wiper motor might put on it and you can pull them out of the garbage all the time.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

not to derail your idea, but couldn't you take apart an inexpensive box fan? It is set up for 120V AC and it has a speed control. Just mount the speed controller in a box and Oila!

Total cost: ~$10

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

The box fan idea has been considered, along with an ice cream maker... I like the idea of the speed control and 120V of the box fan, and the economy. I could probably get a project box from radio shack and hook that up pretty simply and make it look pretty. Have to look at CL.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
The box fan idea has been considered, along with an ice cream maker... I like the idea of the speed control and 120V of the box fan, and the economy. I could probably get a project box from radio shack and hook that up pretty simply and make it look pretty. Have to look at CL.
You may need to put an inline fuse on one of the wires going to the motor. Then if the motor gets overloaded or stuck, the fuse will blow.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

If you still are interested in using a wiper motor, here's some info...I'm into halloween decorating in a big way, and a lot of guys use them in their setups....Here's a good site on using them... http://www.scary-terry.com/wipmtr/wipmtr.htm

It covers the pro and cons of using different power supplies and other nifty info...how to wire em, rig up speed control and iirc even computer controlling them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

FWIW, an automotive wiper motor runs on 12vdc, not 24vdc. They will draw up to 5 amps at full speed, depending on the manufacturer.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Screw it... LOL, on someone elses advice, I am buying a cheap-o box fan and mounting the speed control in a nice 4 x 4 junction box and calling it good. I will have speed control and a cool little control box to boot. The motor should have WAY enough power to simply stir water. I am asking SWMBO if I have permission to go to Lowes and "FINISH" my brew build... again. You have to relaize that I FINISH it every 6 months. Thanks yall!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Buy a 120VAC -> 12VAC transformer or scrounge one out of a dead piece of electronics. Then use 4 diodes to rectify the signal to DC. Just a few $ and you're in business.

Quick Reply