Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > About time I built a stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
WoweeZowee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default About time I built a stand

Hello everyone. I have decided to invest in a brewing stand to make my brew day easier and more efficient. This thread will hopefully allow others to help me to identify any weaknesses in my plan. Thank you in advance to those who take the time!

First, I haven't yet found a method to scan my drawings but the stand is modeled after the B3 tippy dump sculpture using 1 1/2" x 3/4" 16 gauge rectangular tubing. The differences are that I will not be making the MLT on a tippy swing - just a burner, and the kettles are 15.5 gallon sanke kegs - because they're cheaper. I already own a converted sanke MLT.

As I am beginning to order parts I realized that I am unsure of what propane regulator to buy. Here is my current plan:
3 cast propane burners - one for each tier. I plan to pipe these in rigidly with a cheap black pipe manifold with 1/4 turn valves to cut the gas. Attached to the manifold will be a 20 psi regulator. Does this sound reasonable?

To move the wort I plan to purchase a march 809 with the 3/4" MPT face centered inlet and 1/2 MPT outlet. This will be attached at the base of the stand to avoid priming issues. All connections will be made with the brass mcmaster quick disconnects that are so popular - and again cheap. I am omitting the list of couplings and QD parts.

Currently, I chill with a copper immersion chiller. I plan to upgrade to a stand-mounted plate chiller. There are several models available on e-bay, but I plan to purchase dudadiesel's 30 plate heat exchanger for about $75.

I hope to have some pictures up soon. I know I love 'em.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
WoweeZowee
Recipes 

Also, does anyone know where to find back connecting 1/2" NPT dial thermometers for a good price? B3 has some fairly nice ones for ~$35, but the are sold out. Mcmaster sells dial thermometers for insanely high prices, and I find the units available through sabco difficult to read.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take a look at Bargain Fittings

Wayne offers quite a lot of goodies at very nice prices.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Those burners are going to be loud if you brew in a garage/enclosed space.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
WoweeZowee
Recipes 

Good call on the bargainfittings.com! Ball valves are ~$5 cheaper than I found and Thermometers are ~$10 less.

Wildwest - do you have another burner suggestion? The cast burners are cheap (loud, but I have survived on a single burner of the same kind for years) and I hope to some day upgrade to natural gas...

Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
gunmetal
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Default Thermometers

Dultmeier Sales has good prices on thermometers, but they are wholesale and only sell business to business. Not sure how they would know for sure though. http://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/78

Old 05-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #7
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here is another place to get your burners from. Cheaper.

http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-...95/cn/5400000/

Old 05-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
WoweeZowee
Recipes 

I am thinking about getting couplers welded to my keg kettles, rather than having weldless fittings all over my new brewing stand, but I am unsure of who or what I am looking for in a welder. I live in the Minneapolis metro area if anyone knows a good/reasonably priced tig welder in this area.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoweeZowee View Post
Wildwest - do you have another burner suggestion? The cast burners are cheap (loud, but I have survived on a single burner of the same kind for years) and I hope to some day upgrade to natural gas...

Yes, I realize they are expensive, but are quiet and have nearly unlimited heating capacity.
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

If you need something cheaper, these are less powerful, but also quiet.
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg12_cast_iron_burner.htm

Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoweeZowee View Post
I am thinking about getting couplers welded to my keg kettles, rather than having weldless fittings all over my new brewing stand, but I am unsure of who or what I am looking for in a welder. I live in the Minneapolis metro area if anyone knows a good/reasonably priced tig welder in this area.
OhioEd has a great thread about finding a weldor. If I come across the link I will post it for you. Questions to ask and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Yes, I realize they are expensive, but are quiet and have nearly unlimited heating capacity.
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

If you need something cheaper, these are less powerful, but also quiet.
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg12_cast_iron_burner.htm
I know this is off topic but, I found something interesting the other day. Burners are rated in BTUs/HR. The first one you posted claims 210,000 BTUs/HR. The thing I found is a 20Lb tank of propane is only capable of delivering 96,000 BTUs/HR at a constant flow rate. I am still trying to figure out if this is true or not. If it is, then unless you have the tank, it isn't going to give you the heat.

Quick Reply