Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > About Time To Document This (Strut/Penrose/BCS-460 System)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #41
hyperboarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosmoker View Post
looking good hyper, and a great helper there.

Side note: See there is nano over on your side of town trying to get going...Haff Brewery? I believe. My side just has a full brewery with Slanted rock..and $2 Tuesday's.Not that 4 miles to your side is a far trip lol.
There are some folks in this neighborhood trying to start up County Line, their Kickstarter isn't going too well though. Haven't heard of Haff but they show up on Google, I'll keep an ear open. They're popping up left and right around here...

I like the $2 Tuesdays at Slanted Rock but I'm not a big fan of their beer. They have an awesome setup and I haven't tasted any flaws, they just have rather bland recipes. I wish they'd put the IPA on one of their nitro taps, I think I'd enjoy that enough to make the trek over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
TBBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For cutting steel electrical enclosures with a jig saw, we have always used the finest toothed blade you can find. I usually shoot for 2-3 teeth engaged in the cut thickness. This will greatly reduce having a bunch of chatter and shaking your arm off. I am also an ME and a machine designer. For some really cool labels, have you considered laser etching? You can buy stainless tags of various sizes for pretty cheap and with different finishes ranging in mirror polished down to rough brushed. You can buy them with either holes for riveting, or adhesive backed. My local laser guy can get his laser to etch in green, purple, or black. He can also scan any picture or graphics so you could use any font or logo you want. Small batch single run stuff like this he usually only charges me a setup fee of $50-$75. It may be a cool custom option if you can find something similar in your neck of the woods or online. I think the stainless labels with the flat black box would look badass.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBBrewer View Post
For cutting steel electrical enclosures with a jig saw, we have always used the finest toothed blade you can find. I usually shoot for 2-3 teeth engaged in the cut thickness. This will greatly reduce having a bunch of chatter and shaking your arm off. I am also an ME and a machine designer. For some really cool labels, have you considered laser etching? You can buy stainless tags of various sizes for pretty cheap and with different finishes ranging in mirror polished down to rough brushed. You can buy them with either holes for riveting, or adhesive backed. My local laser guy can get his laser to etch in green, purple, or black. He can also scan any picture or graphics so you could use any font or logo you want. Small batch single run stuff like this he usually only charges me a setup fee of $50-$75. It may be a cool custom option if you can find something similar in your neck of the woods or online. I think the stainless labels with the flat black box would look badass.
I like the stainless idea, I think I'll have to see if anyone local does laser etching. I knew a guy in CO, not here though.

Definitely agree with you on the proper blade, I did it with a larger toothed blade and it shook like mad. But it's done .

Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #44
Dawai
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Definitely agree with you on the proper blade, I did it with a larger toothed blade and it shook like mad. But it's done .
Find anyone with a cnc (even a hobby tabletop model) in your area, the labels are made from "tri-laminate" poly stock, you engrave the color on top showing the color in the middle of the laminate. Trophy shops normally have it too to make desk-door signs. If you can't find local, I have a antique (cantankerous) old bridgeport cnc I converted.

FOR the holes, (yes I know you are done) I have been using a plasma cutter with a template for about fifteen years now. Ten seconds per hole. HOLD the template, scribe with plasma torch, done. In Powerplants a jig saw vibration may knock offline relays controlling power and cities go black.

(thank you for putting me onto Chad for the filters, I will be in touch with him)

Tunnel Hill Ga. I'm a Old biker/construction worker, wore out, tired, relaxing with a homebrew and loving it. Ain't nothing like watching the sun come up over Fort Mountain.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #45
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawai View Post
Find anyone with a cnc (even a hobby tabletop model) in your area, the labels are made from "tri-laminate" poly stock, you engrave the color on top showing the color in the middle of the laminate. Trophy shops normally have it too to make desk-door signs. If you can't find local, I have a antique (cantankerous) old bridgeport cnc I converted.

FOR the holes, (yes I know you are done) I have been using a plasma cutter with a template for about fifteen years now. Ten seconds per hole. HOLD the template, scribe with plasma torch, done. In Powerplants a jig saw vibration may knock offline relays controlling power and cities go black.

(thank you for putting me onto Chad for the filters, I will be in touch with him)
Trust me, if I had something else available I would have used it . If I were to do it again I might have the eBrewSupply guys just sell me a pre-drilled enclosure, I'm guessing the cost difference would be smaller than the price of all the tools I used. That said it was still fun and a good learning experience.

Back on the build progress topic, I've been out of town on business all week and I'm trucking a motorcycle up to Seattle so we'll see if I make any progress this weekend. Luckily the wife starts up at work again Monday so the kids go to daycare and I have some time over lunch breaks to work. Someday I'll finish this .

Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
ImNoExpert
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Subscribed.

If one more person says to me "RDWHHB" I'm gonna start punching people in the papazians.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

No updates as of late

Sold a motorcycle, bought a motorcycle, rode the hell out of said motorcycle, did some work travel, harvested and dried my hops, brewed a few beers, etc. Been a busy August. I've got a minor procedure later today that's going to limit my activity this weekend, that should allow me to get the enclosure painted and stuffed, then wiring. Once that's done I'll start up on the kettles, hopefully next week. Maybe...

Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #48
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Finally a bit more progress. Motorcycle season is coming to an end, so I'm finding time again .

Power cord finished:

Took a closer look at the enclosure and decided not to paint it, the paint on there is not bad and I'm just not that concerned about the look, more the function. Heat sink is in:

And the SSR's:

"Fancy" labels (we'll see if I get motivated enough to replace the sharpie):

And made up the element wires:

Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #49
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Got some wiring done this week, ground and neutral run:

And started on the network connectors (totally new to me), I think I did alright:

It works fine, checked it when playing around with the BCS tonight, no issues. Looks like the BCS is good too, I'll have a bit of a learning curve but it appears doable enough.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #50
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

How did you get the 10% off at Strut Fittings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Quick Reply