Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > About Time To Document This (Strut/Penrose/BCS-460 System)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
hyperboarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Made some progress yesterday, got the heat sink and handles mounted up and the bottom of the panel laid out. Cutting out the hole for the heat sink wasn't a lot of fun, I tried a handful of methods and ended up with the jigsaw. It damn near shook my teeth out but it worked. I've got one more non-circular hole to cut for the temp probe jack plate, the rest are circular and shouldn't be bad.

For anyone planning on this, I'd highly suggest investing in a good center punch. I borrowed one from a job a while back and it didn't make it back before my employment there ended, whoops . Makes for much less wander in the drill bit, I had to elongate one heat sink mounting hole but the rest have lined up well. I'd also suggest posting build pictures on Facebook, your friends will inevitably ask you "What the hell are you making?"

As the outside of the panel is nearing completion I'm trying to decide what I want to do for tags. eBrewsupply now sells them but they're a bit bland and identical to every other electric panel out there. Anyone have any other ideas? I've been poking around etsy a bit too but nothing has jumped out at me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Look for places that do trophies. They can custom engrave on small plaques. I would grnerally look for either engraving places or places that indoor door signs. You might be able to get one sign done and gently chop it to smaller pieces but each label could have a graphic.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
broncosmoker
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Very nice looking build! And welcome to Meridian, great city, but you already knew that lol. You should check out the local brew club, Snake River Brewers:

http://snakeriverbrewers.org/ Great group of people and the Prez has an electric system. Club meeting is this coming Thursday as well.

Also don't forget http://www.homebrewstuff.com/ is right in your backyard. Marcus and his crew are pretty helpful.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH View Post
Look for places that do trophies. They can custom engrave on small plaques. I would grnerally look for either engraving places or places that indoor door signs. You might be able to get one sign done and gently chop it to smaller pieces but each label could have a graphic.
Good call, I'll check with the local guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosmoker View Post
Very nice looking build! And welcome to Meridian, great city, but you already knew that lol. You should check out the local brew club, Snake River Brewers:

http://snakeriverbrewers.org/ Great group of people and the Prez has an electric system. Club meeting is this coming Thursday as well.

Also don't forget http://www.homebrewstuff.com/ is right in your backyard. Marcus and his crew are pretty helpful.
I meant to make the last SRB meeting, but this new kid has thoroughly borked any kind of schedule I can keep. I might make this Thursday's, but don't hold your breath . And yeah, home brew stuff is my go-to bottle shop right now, they're a bit further than Brewforia but their prices are better as is their selection. Great selection of brewing stuff to and their virtual bag is a solid deal for base malt.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Panel Continued

A couple pics of the recent progress. Heat sink on the outside (mounted, not permanent though, still need to pull painters tape and silicone it on):

In case you're wondering, yes, the handles are a bit too close to the heat sink. I doubt I'll rework as I don't want any ugly plugged holes on top, but we'll see. Requires a bit of a rock climber hold to pick up, it'll help keep my fingers strong . Here are the SSR's from the inside:

Jigsaw cuts aren't pretty but they'll be hidden most of the time. Again, just test fitting now, not stuck on their with the heat sink paste yet. Planning on drilling the bottom out tonight and then starting on the inside.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
broncosmoker
Recipes 

Looking nice. How big of a circuit breaker are you running? How big of pots?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #17
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosmoker View Post
Looking nice. How big of a circuit breaker are you running? How big of pots?
Penrose kettles, they quote at 16 gallons but the general consensus is 17.5 gallons on average. 30A outlet, 4 prong with a GFCI.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Smelson
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great posts, an inspiration for those of us also dreaming about going electric and getting an allowance!

-subscribed.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Still haven't found the time to get the damn inlet holes drilled.

Maybe tonight. Maybe this weekend.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Super nice build and great documentary! Excited to see the final product! Congrats on the baby as well! Cute kid

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply