Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 70 quart Coleman Extreme Mash Tun w/ CPVC Manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #81
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsow View Post
Yeah I used the cpvc 1/2 npt to slip fitting > 45 street > the t slips right on the street end of that. it rested perfectly in the bottom. I couldn't have asked for a better fit. I think it looks cleaner than a whole bunch of slits too, but we'll see how it functions. I'm going to do a batch in the next couple weeks and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks! Looks very good and simple. Still using a stainless bulkhead fitting and valve, right?

The only thing I see that may need attention is that the long slots as they are don't have a very large aggregate "open area" all together, compared to cross slits. Maybe another 2 sets of slots, one on each bottom quadrant of the tube, say 1/8" above the very bottom with an off-set, set could be added. Only one way to find out.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #82
davsow
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard

Thanks! Looks very good and simple. Still using a stainless bulkhead fitting and valve, right?

The only thing I see that may need attention is that the long slots as they are don't have a very large aggregate "open area" all together, compared to cross slits. Maybe another 2 sets of slots, one on each bottom quadrant of the tube, say 1/8" above the very bottom with an off-set, set could be added. Only one way to find out.
Yeah I'm still using a stainless bulkhead. I thought about adding another row of slits. But I'm going to test it first to see how it works before I make any major modifications. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #83
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

1/2" cpvc seems so small. I used 3/4" on my 10 gallon round cooler. How's the 1/2" working out? Thoughts?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #84
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
1/2" cpvc seems so small. I used 3/4" on my 10 gallon round cooler. How's the 1/2" working out? Thoughts?
When I was in Lowe's buying supplies for my manifold I thought the same thing, did a quick google on my phone for manifold designs and every one I looked at was half inch so that's what I bought.

Seems to be working out well for me. I even brewed a wheat beer without any problems.

...but I understand where you're coming from. I can't see it making very much of a difference really.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #85
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mmy86 View Post

When I was in Lowe's buying supplies for my manifold I thought the same thing, did a quick google on my phone for manifold designs and every one I looked at was half inch so that's what I bought.

Seems to be working out well for me. I even brewed a wheat beer without any problems.

...but I understand where you're coming from. I can't see it making very much of a difference really.
Cool thanks for the reply. I guess size doesn't matter. :-P
1/2" seemed soo small. Lol!!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #86
davsow
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thought I would share my material list. That always helps me.

image-876303985.jpg

Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #87
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

^^Great! Thanks for posting that up!!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #88
ayupbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

How does the manifold attach to the cooler outlet, im not seeing it. What parts are needed for the bulkhead? Thanks, just got my cooler today and want to grab the manifold parts this evening.

Ayup!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #89
davsow
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayupbrewing
How does the manifold attach to the cooler outlet, im not seeing it. What parts are needed for the bulkhead? Thanks, just got my cooler today and want to grab the manifold parts this evening.

Ayup!
The female adapter goes on the nipple coming through the cooler and then the 45 street elbow goes right into that. From there you will need a short piece of 1/2" cpvc to the t.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #90
davsow
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsow View Post
I opted to cut long slots down the center of my manifold. Here's a couple shots of it. Haven't tried it out yet but it was way faster to do it this way. I t seems like it would allow more liquid to flow too. Thoughts?

Just wanted to let everyone know that the long slits held up great. No warping, really great flow rate too. I don't see a need to make any additional cuts. Super easy to clean and it never came out of the bulkhead. Cheers!

Quick Reply