New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 50' CFC or Chillus Convolutus?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
ghart999
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default 50' CFC or Chillus Convolutus?

Alright just considering other options aside from a plate chiller.

Would a 3/8" x 50' copper CFC be any better than a 25' one or even better than or equal to the Chillus?

I guess I would like the max flow possible with the closest to chilling water as possible, with price and build size not a concern. If I can chill 5 gallons to 3-4F above ambient water temps in 3-4 minutes then I am happy. Can I do this will any of these options?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

25' is plenty. The first time I used mine with the gardon hose half way open, it would cool the wort to 58F-60F dagrees. I used a pump the second time and it was still in the mid 60's.

I'm also cooling 10gals.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Last edited by Mustangj; 06-15-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Alright just considering other options aside from a plate chiller.

Would a 3/8" x 50' copper CFC be any better than a 25' one or even better than or equal to the Chillus?

I guess I would like the max flow possible with the closest to chilling water as possible, with price and build size not a concern. If I can chill 5 gallons to 3-4F above ambient water temps in 3-4 minutes then I am happy. Can I do this will any of these options?
I think being able to chill to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient within 3 to 4 minutes is not practical.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I think being able to chill to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient within 3 to 4 minutes is not practical.
You can do it........ With a Blichmann Therminator and a pump with 1/2'' lines.

Michigan Mashers

Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj View Post
You can do it........ With a Blichmann Therminator and a pump with 1/2'' lines.
This I know, because I have a Therminator. It's obvious the OP does not because he is looking at a CFC. I was speaking in respect to the CFC's the OP mentioned. Kapish?

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
This I know, because I have a Therminator.
Me and you are on the same page! Just saying it can be done.

EDIT: Sorry...I did mean to step on your cock!

Michigan Mashers

Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks Sawdustguy. I am really trying to find the best cooling method regardless of cost. If the Therminator can do it, then I am willing to go this route. It just seems that so many of the claims of CFC users on here support that a well done CFC can outdo the best of the plates. If this is not the case, then I don't want a CFC. I wanted confirmation from someone who has used both.

I have a pump and will be using 1/2" ID lines. So...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ha....that's a good one

I have a Chillus and really like it. It looks cool, and works great. No fuss, no muss, and it takes true negligence to clog it. Again, this is a matter of preference, just like most equipment. Both work really well....I have also had phenomenal results NOT CHILLING AT ALL. When I do chill with the CFC, I have been able to cool my wort just as fast as I can get it through the chiller...this is the same as using a plate.

Also something to note...you may not want to put a hopback right before a plate due to debris...but you can definitely do it with a CFC.

Last edited by ScubaSteve; 06-15-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Thanks Sawdustguy. I am really trying to find the best cooling method regardless of cost. If the Therminator can do it, then I am willing to go this route. It just seems that so many of the claims of CFC users on here support that a well done CFC can outdo the best of the plates. If this is not the case, then I don't want a CFC. I wanted confirmation from someone who has used both.

I have a pump and will be using 1/2" ID lines. So...
It's all about contact between coolant and wort which is itself a function of flow rate, surface area and disruption of laminar flow. The convolutus does the latter better than other counterflow chillers but the plate chiller has more surface area and is going to be the fastest.

You said you wanted the best method regardless of price: define best. The plate is faster, the CFC is slower but only by a few minutes. The CFC is less fussy in terms of trub and hop filtration and probably a bit easier to clean and sanitize. That is your tradeoff.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Ha....that's a good one

I have a Chillus and really like it. It looks cool, and works great. No fuss, no muss, and it takes true negligence to clog it.
To you have some ball park numbers on how far above ambient your wort comes out?

The reason I am so hooked on this is that I ferment some of my beers at 62F. My tap water is 58ish in the summer and cooler in the winter. Hence I want to avoid having to do an ice-bath or anything to get down to 62F when my tap is 58F. Make sense? With my IC, I eventually get to 62F. If a CFC can do it great, I would prefer it due to its easier sanitation. If only a plate can do it, then fine too.

I just need some more hard numbers than "they work great."

I should clarify the above as well. If the CFC can get to 4F above ambient but at an extremely slow flow rate (.5gpm) and the plate can do it as a faster rate, I would still prefer the plate. I am not concerned with hop debris and I did go ahead and spend the money on a Hopstopper, which I have already confirmed blocks even hop pellets very well. Loss hops is not even a concern now.

Last edited by ghart999; 06-15-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply