Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferullo View Post
NOt sure I follow.. I must be missing something simple.
Sorry... I was thinking of something else... See above. I edited my post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Its cool...appreciate the effort. Spikebrewing.com sells a FB that includes the tubing. theirs is silicone. I just assume it will crush under say 10+ lbs of grain.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #43
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Well, if the grain is stirred and then allowed to settle, it would settle around that silicone tube and not crush it. If you put a brick on the tube, yes it will crush - because it is not supported underneath. But here, you really don't have too much weight pressing down on the tube itself.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default my attempt...

Here is my attempt. To recap:

12.5inch - ish aluminum pizza pan (I think its Pizzacraft brand) found for 5 bucks at Homegoods

Same parts as above, but used silicone tubing I had in place of the braided tubing.

Hopfeully it works!!!

forumrunner_20121019_074529.png   forumrunner_20121019_074548.png  

Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #45
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The bottom looks great! I've found in my 5 gallon cooler I'm limited to about 8.5lbs of grain, so I'm planning a 10 gallon version of this FB using a stainless steel pan and copper 1/2" tubing held in place with compression fittings or possibly some sort of quick disconnects. The pan I have now, however, has worked so well I'll still use it for lower gravity brews.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #46
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks!!

I will find out tonight. I am brewing a batch that has a grist of 12.8 lbs. My overall deadspace was about 1/2 gallon.

Tonight is a Rye based beer so I hope not to have a stuck sparge. My buddy bought the ingredients, so I hope my fabrication doesn't screw up his brew.

Sidenote, I had someone tell me that using aluminum was a bad idea based on ionization. Now as a chemist, I don't think that really applies to the false bottom. Also people use aluminum boil kettles all the time.

Next time around I will be getting a stainless steel plate and have a buddy with a drill press makes the holes, but until then...I hope this works!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #47
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks!!

I will find out tonight. I am brewing a batch that has a grist of 12.8 lbs. My overall deadspace was about 1/2 gallon.

Tonight is a Rye based beer so I hope not to have a stuck sparge. My buddy bought the ingredients, so I hope my fabrication doesn't screw up his brew.

Sidenote, I had someone tell me that using aluminum was a bad idea based on ionization. Now as a chemist, I don't think that really applies to the false bottom. Also people use aluminum boil kettles all the time.

Next time around I will be getting a stainless steel plate and have a buddy with a drill press makes the holes, but until then...I hope this works!!!
When I was doing my research I saw the aluminum vs. no-aluminum arguments, but as I didn't know if this project was even going to work I decided to go the cheap route. I also use an aluminum brew pot and I haven't had any problems with the material over the past 10 brews I've done with this setup. For me, the SS is more for aesthetics than anything. The only thing I've had to replace (and only once) so far is the 3-4" of braided tubing from the dip tube as the heat from the mash has loosened the seal around the PEX elbow. Other than that I've been really happy with how well this has performed for the price.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #48
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, the rye beer was a total flop. I ended up with a horruble stuck sparge that was there no recovering from. I ended up using a kitchen collander and scooping ut the spend grains. It was a disaster. At first I thought it was the rye, but I am thinking something went wrong with the false bottom. There was a large grain stuck in the silicone tubing. So, grain got through. Oh well live and learn. Its not enough for me to give up on my cheap creation yet.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #49
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Well, the rye beer was a total flop. I ended up with a horruble stuck sparge that was there no recovering from. I ended up using a kitchen collander and scooping ut the spend grains. It was a disaster. At first I thought it was the rye, but I am thinking something went wrong with the false bottom. There was a large grain stuck in the silicone tubing. So, grain got through. Oh well live and learn. Its not enough for me to give up on my cheap creation yet.
Because aluminum pans are so light it may have floated up a bit when you put the hot liquor in the tun, allowing the grain to get through. If your tubing is pretty flexible (and more so when it's hot) that may have been the issue. The thick walled braided tubing I use is rigid even when hot so it holds the false bottom down snugly. When sparging I'll have about 1/2 a tsp of grain come through and that's it. Also (silly question, I know) did you drain it slowly when sparging?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #50
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

We did drain slowly, but I think you may be right abou the floating bottom. Gonna have to get a stainless steel one and have a buddy with a drill press drill it for me.

My brewing buddy thinks maybe the 1/8 inch holes are too big? Any thoughts on that?

Quick Reply