Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 4 faucet jockey box build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
dmob29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ahhh, right on. Wasn't thinking about coils I think that's a great idea about using it as a pre chiller... I think I might try that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmob29 View Post
Very true JRems, that was the one size we didn't have and instead of getting the correct size, we forged ahead to get it done.
"This way all the lines can be removed to clean, without pulling them through a hole that could leak." -- confused about what would be leaking...?

Hey Egg... ya, that chiller was a huge find on ebay for like $160 shipped! How do I move a thread? I realized there is a DIY section too, thanks!
If you wait it out, chillers can go for 90 shipped...

Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #13
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
You won't need the plexi if you get the proper size shanks and use a rubber jockey box washer and a metal jockey box washer on the inside. Use a 7/8" hole saw for a tight fit with no slop. It should not make a mess if you drill slowly. I used mfl bulkhead fitting to bring the beer into the cooler on mine. This way all the lines can be removed to clean, without pulling them through a hole that could leak.
A few questions:

Where would one get a jockey box washer?
I am a little fuzzy as to how the bulkhead fitting would work... Would you mind posting a few pics?

Thanks!
-Scott

Edit: Nevermind, found the jockey box washers with a quick search, though I am still interested in the bulkhead on your setup.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used a bulk head like this
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_19_220_ 288&products_id=486
they come in different sizes.I used the shortest one, it was the cheapest. My cooler was metal so I cut a 7/8 hole thru the insulation, but a smaller hole thru the metal top then tighten this in. All my kegerator and other hoses are already all mfl so it's easy for me to swap out lines and fitting or even a sanke tap.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #15
wiescins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

subscribed

Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

for the back of mine i drilled a fairly large hole in the back. I then epoxied in a piece of pvc. Mine is a 7 pass plate, with 6 currently hooked up. The pvc keeps the styrofoam in place and allows me to only pull through the amount of lines I need. I keep some small cuts of that tube insulation that I wrap around the lines to take up any extra space. For those worried about spilling or leaking, the hole is near the top and you never need that much ice in there. You should also never worry about water when using a coldplate, it is different than coils in that you only want ice, keep the water drained.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 01-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
homebrewbeliever

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I'd love to revive this thread!!! I am considering building a jockey box for my upcoming wedding so I can serve my homebrew... I can see a lot of advantages to using a cold plate, such as cost and not having to push beer through huge lengths of coils at high PSI. However, I am reading lots of conflicting comments about using a coldplate vs. coils, and I've read that coldplates do not cool the beer adequately if the beer is kept at room temperature. For my wedding, the kegs would just be sitting underneath a table with the jockey box sitting on top of the table. What are people's experience using a cold plate with room-temp beer?

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #18
dmob29
Recipes 

I can say that this thing has been working great for us! We have used it at a few camping trips (CHA fest at Lake Casitas) where day time temps are getting up to mid-high 80's and the kegs are sitting out under a tree. We never actually measured it, but it dispenses fairly cold.
One thing we learned is we started using that cooler for bottles too and the opening and closing of it warms it up a bit, something to be aware of.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
homebrewbeliever

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmob29 View Post
I can say that this thing has been working great for us! We have used it at a few camping trips (CHA fest at Lake Casitas) where day time temps are getting up to mid-high 80's and the kegs are sitting out under a tree. We never actually measured it, but it dispenses fairly cold.
One thing we learned is we started using that cooler for bottles too and the opening and closing of it warms it up a bit, something to be aware of.
Good to know! Did you use jumpers on your cold plate, or just run it straight through?

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #20
dmob29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever View Post
Good to know! Did you use jumpers on your cold plate, or just run it straight through?
By jumpers are meaning run it through one line then directly into a second before going out to the faucet? If it is, no... went through only one circuit and seems to work well. I guess if you are dispensing fairly often you could double it up to get more chilled beer in the lines.

Quick Reply