Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 4.6 cu ft Fridge to 10.1 cu ft Fermentation Chamber Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #21
mattchu09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

TH-

Did you replace the fridge's internal thermostat or did you do the normal wiring where the Love controller is basically wired inline with the fridge's normal plug? Also how did you wire the muffin fan with the controller? Could you draw up a diagram of how you wired it in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #22
Pez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Excellent project. I will seriously consider one of these when summer rolls around.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchu09 View Post
TH-

Did you replace the fridge's internal thermostat or did you do the normal wiring where the Love controller is basically wired inline with the fridge's normal plug? Also how did you wire the muffin fan with the controller? Could you draw up a diagram of how you wired it in?
Here's my thread on how I wired my Love controller:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-temp-controller-series-ts-wiring-diagram-2008-a-88369/

I wired the fan by tapping into the "switched hot" and neutral lines. That way the fan only runs when the compressor does.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
keithd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Yes I'm here!

1) fridge only, although there's a very small compartment inside the fridge where the evap coils are that can be used to freeze stuff.

2) overall floor dimensions (orig fridge + extension) is 29" x 16". The inside height at it's lowest point (under the coils/compartment) is 23-3/4".

I have no idea how big cornys are but I hope that helps!
Thank you, thank you, and thank you!
The base here (stationed in Japan) just got in about 12 of those fridge-only 4.6cf models, and I'm giving my 5cf chest freezer to my mom-in-law.

Awesome! Now I won't have to get a hernia every time I brew ten gallon batches lifting the 10 gallon corny kegs over the wall of the chest freezer (I used it for a fermentation chamber).

Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Would this project work the same with a fridge w/freezer box?

And, by "I relocated the top and bottom brackets of the fridge door so that the door could still be used"....do you mean that you took the brackets off the fridge, measured/drilled new holes, and remounted them in a location suitable for the door to be flush with the new 'front'? (as opposed to just switching it to the other side, so the door opens on left instead of right side of the fridge).

Thanks,

Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
Would this project work the same with a fridge w/freezer box?
Not sure what you mean exactly but mine has a freezer compartment INSIDE the fridge, which really is just the coils that do the cooling for the whole fridge so yes it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
And, by "I relocated the top and bottom brackets of the fridge door so that the door could still be used"....do you mean that you took the brackets off the fridge, measured/drilled new holes, and remounted them in a location suitable for the door to be flush with the new 'front'? (as opposed to just switching it to the other side, so the door opens on left instead of right side of the fridge).

Thanks,
Your first assumption is correct. I was able to reuse one hole for each bracket (top and bottom) but for the other holes I had to drill a couple pilot holes and thread the screws into the sheet metal.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #27
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is amazing.... I am looking at this wondering how I didn't think of this! I have a smaller fridge just sitting in my basement and I have been wondering how to fight the heat this summer. I don't think I can get any buckets in there but I will try. But if not I will just use that space for other things and make a larger insulated addition.

Awesome idea!!! I am so freakin excited right now!!! I hope I can make this work with what I already have!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #28
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ha, I'm glad someone else resurrected this thread. I've had it saved forever because I intend to do the same sometime soon.

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 05-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #29
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I checked out where I wanted to do it and the table is a few inches too low. So I am not sure how I will do it. I'm still gona try to figure it out though. My only guidelines from SWMBO is that"it needs to look nice" haha.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright so I gave it a try this past weekend. I don't have pics right now but it was a PITA because the table was not square at all and since it's all old it's sagging in the middle so there was a lot of just shaving down edges so the pieces of foam board would fit.

Now my issue is that it looks like the warmest my fridge goes is something like 59 or 60 degrees. Do you guys think thats too warm? I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy another a temp controler but I am think I might have to in order to keep it around 65.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply