New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 3 Temp Fermentation Controller 1 chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
mmeadows24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well it looks like I will finally have time to do the build this weekend Huaco. Hopefully, last question, did you solder the pin terminal? The pics looks like they were just crimped. Any last minute tips?Lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #22
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Just double crimped...

Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #23
mmeadows24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Huaco, the build never happened the other week but I have time now. So a silly question, again. Do I use a different wire (i.e. type-thinking a braided type but have no idea) when soldering and wiring the connections inside the box for an rca jack. I bought these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103224 and putting it in 8 x6 x4 hobby box (single unit) as practice before a 3/1 box. I have already wired up a "simple" box but adding all these little things like lights, a toggle switch, and rca input and rca connection on the temp prob is new to me. Looking at the pics from your 3/1 it is pretty clear you used a different size wire (possibly a different type) for the jack so what's your suggestion for the best approach?
Also, there is no negative on the probe so do I just solder both in the rca cup or what?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #24
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I had some 22 gauge wire left from my control panel build. All I did was try to match gauge to what the probes wires were. You just don't want a huge resistance change from the probe to the RCA - controller wires. The controller evaluates the temperature based on resistance of the coupled wires in the probe end. If you mess with the resistance too much, it will throw off the reading. That can be adjusted but I would rather not go too crazy with it.
I don't think there are +/- with the probe wires. Just solder them on.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgsan View Post
Yeah, I'm really liking it so far. In the future though
Is this comment relative to this thread? I'm just a little lost. What are you referencing?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
mmeadows24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Yeah, I had some 22 gauge wire left from my control panel build. All I did was try to match gauge to what the probes wires were. You just don't want a huge resistance change from the probe to the RCA - controller wires. The controller evaluates the temperature based on resistance of the coupled wires in the probe end. If you mess with the resistance too much, it will throw off the reading. That can be adjusted but I would rather not go too crazy with it.
I don't think there are +/- with the probe wires. Just solder them on.
In the center pin cup? What about the jack? Do I just solder the two wires going to the controller to the center portion of the jack?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry, I can't speak to RCA jacks... sorry. I just haven't used them and don't want to mislead you with ignorance of a product.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #28
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeadows24 View Post
In the center pin cup? What about the jack? Do I just solder the two wires going to the controller to the center portion of the jack?
No, there is a hole in the the longer jacket like part that you crimp around the wire. I will take one of mine apart tonight and make an image of it and post it.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Here is an image of the rca jack and plug along with the sensor wired to a plug.

In the image on the top row in the center is the jack, the side that is fixed to the enclosure. One wire is soldered to the center cup and the other wire is soldered to the piece that is sticking out at the bottom of the jack. The piece is not connected to the jack until the bolt that holds it in the enclosure is installed. You can see the nut in the image that is used to hold it in place.

The part on the right side is the plug. It has a long piece that extends below the center cup. One wire is soldered to the center cup and the other wire is soldered to the hole you can see in the long piece. The long piece also wraps around the wire as a strain relief. I added some heat shrink tubing, two pieces to give the sensor wire some size so I had something to crimp the wire to.

The bottom wire is the back side of the sensor plug soldered up so you can see where it is soldered.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Do you have a cold crash method. Do you move the cooling control to the fermenter that you intend to cold crash?

I think I made a mistake with the minimal approach for the wiring on my device. I didn't even consider cold crashing when I built mine. I also have another problem. The orientation of the fermenters in the freezer is 2 rows of 3 column and the controler is 3 rows of 2 columns. I'm strongly considering orienting the controller in the same orientation as the freezer which will make it so much easier to keep track of which brew is in what compartment.

Quick Reply