Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 3-Tap Built-In Liquor Cabinet Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Mischief_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 3-Tap Built-In Liquor Cabinet Build

Since I'm likely to be asking a couple dozen more random questions relating to this build, I figured I had better start a thread showing the progress.

The project:

Our house came with a random cubby/closet that the original owners used as a TV cabinet. It's located in the wall between the living room and what we're using as our dining room. It's an artifact of the layout of the house and the fact that the chimney runs right up the middle of the house.

Here's the cabinet closed:

Here's what we've been using it for for the last year:

The plan is to build in cabinets on the bottom and top, and a bar top with 3 taps hidden to the left side. We're going to put double doors on the front that will open 180 degrees and will have shelves for holding the liquor bottles. Similar to the doors on this (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/howard...et.asp?AfID=CJ). The taps will be fed from a scrap-wood built kegerator in the crawl-space basement. The kegerator is going to be an insulated wood box attached to a free little dorm fridge a friend gave me.

Here's the pic of the basement space:

The wine cooler in the pic is my beer cellar fridge and will be moved to the side

Here are the pics of the first day's work on this, all demo and cleaning up:

(my daughter posing for a picture, but she refused to pick up a hammer for this one)

SWMBO doing some demo

There's already a hole to the crawl space!

More to come. I'm taking vacation from work next Friday and the following week to get this and some other home improvement projects moving, so hopefully I'll have some updates pretty soon!

Comments/criticisms always appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Started work on the dorm-fridge kegerator today. The fridge itself is too small to hold even a single corny, so I'm building an insulated box that I can attach and remove the fridge using the door's magnetic strips. Since this will be hidden in the basement, I'm not spending much time making it look nice. It's 100% utility at this point.

With the hinged lid open:

With the lid closed:

The square opening will have the dorm fridge's door magnets attached to it. I'll just need to pull the fridge back to break the seal and then open the hinged lid to gain easy access to the 3 kegs and the CO2.

The lid doesn't seem to want to sit flush, so I'll probably add a few strips of Velcro to make it lock in place.

Here's my reward for a hard day's work:

Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Spent some time in the garage today gluing to counter top together, adding more insulation to the kegerator, sanding and staining the cabinets, and setting up the gas lines for this and my keezer build (coming soon). All I can say is I can't wait for winter to be over. It never got above 40 out there today, I had to take a break every 45 minutes to come inside and warm back up.

I should be able to seal the cabinets tomorrow and move the kegerator cooler box inside and see if my measurements were correct lining it up with the dorm fridge.

The only picture from today is the chaotic state of the garage right before I closed the door for the night:

2/22/11 Update: Once again in the mid 30s out in the garage today so I was only able to apply finish to the cabinets and sand, condition, and stain the counter/bar top. I think the red oak stain on red oak is turning out ok...

Old 02-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Ok, first question on the kegerator build. Should I feed the lines through the top (fixed part, not the lid) or through the side? I'll be running about 24' of 1/4" poly line per tap, with the bulk of that coiled inside the kegerator keeping it cool.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think you will have pretty bad foaming problems with that much line without a glycol or ice water circulation setup. Even if you only have a 5-6 foot run between the kegerator and taps it will be tough to cool with insulation alone.

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmat123 View Post
I think you will have pretty bad foaming problems with that much line without a glycol or ice water circulation setup. Even if you only have a 5-6 foot run between the kegerator and taps it will be tough to cool with insulation alone.
I hear ya on that one. I'm running a copper tube for future chilling with the three beer lines but haven't finalized my decision on what to do yet. I'll have the return cooling line running outside through separate insulation. I've been keeping an eye on craig's list looking for an affordable solution.

There's a mini model refrigerator out there that would probably do the trick, it looks just like a regular refrigerator with a top freezer with its own door but the whole thing stands a hair over 4 feet tall. The beauty of the way I'm building the kegerator box is that I can pull the open side of it that attaches to the fridge off and rebuild to whatever size fridge I upgrade to...Cost is a big issue right now though...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Spent the first half of the day trekking to Brooklyn to pick up 250 pounds of grain, 7 cornies, a co2 container, and a keezer (thanks tcone!), but was able to get the garage cleaned up a bit and knock 3 inches off the back of the base cabinet and get in in the house for a test fit.

I'm definitely still in the very early stages here, but it feels like I'm finally make some progress.

Pics from today:

test fit

Gap where the lines will come up, and the pint glasses/mug shelves will be

Not so pretty gap on the side. I'll probably tear out the paneling that's been painted over and install drywall to the edge of the cabinet.

I'm brewing tomorrow so I won't be doing much if any work on this, but next weekend I plan to get the electrical outlet and light switch moved and installed (with help from my electrician neighbor), the top wall cabinets installed, and the countertop cut to size.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
CAustin919
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like a great project.. can't wait to see the progress.

You said you plan on hiding the taps on the left side? Are you going to build a coffin box, use a tower, what's the plan?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAustin919
Looks like a great project.. can't wait to see the progress.

You said you plan on hiding the taps on the left side? Are you going to build a coffin box, use a tower, what's the plan?
It'll be a coffin box, just haven't decided exactly how I'm going to design it yet.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

I was finally able to get some work done on this today.

I had my neighbor come over and do some electrical work for me (he's the best neighbor in the world, bar none):

Note: the torn up wall was all me. He bitched at me about all the damage I did until I told him that it was all going to be hidden behind a cabinet and oak paneling.

We installed a new grounded outlet (back bottom), a dimmer switch (right side), and a single grounded outlet that's hooked into the dimmer for the lights (back top):

I put the drywall bartop base in place, secured the base cabinet into it's final position, and put up the wood that will hold up the cabinets up top, but ran out of energy and L-brackets (it's got a nice bend to it huh?):

I sanded, stained and finished a bunch of the wood that will be going up, and still have a bunch more to do. The stemware holder got stained but no finish yet. I think I'm in trouble with SWMBO though since I neglected a ton of other small projects I said I'd do today. Tomorrow will probably be filled with those and not so much of this...

Quick Reply