The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 3.5 Gallon fermenters instead of 6.5 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default 3.5 Gallon fermenters instead of 6.5 ?

I am thinking of trying to get 1 more 5 gallon batch of beer started and finished for my wedding guests to enjoy in less than 7 weeks. (Weeding is July 25th) I already have 2 batchs in 6.5 gallon bucket ferminators. I was able to pick up 2 3.5 gallon buckets today from food service.

I want to know if using a 3.5 gal bucket as a primary to ferment 2.5 gal of beer will leave too much air-space at the top and result in substandard beer. I would rather not spend the money for another 6.5 gallon bucket set-up if I am only going to use it once for this special occasion.

Any thoughts...recomendations? Perhaps trying to get another ale done, bottled and condictioned in just over 6 weeks might be pushing it.

thanks,

mick

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The gallon of headspace isn't an issue, it will quickly fill up with Co2 from fermentation. Personally though, I think you can never have too many fermenters! Even a Better Bottle or carboy is cheap amortized over the dozens (or hundreds!) of batches you will ultimately use them for.

Go for a hefe, if you like them. They ferment quickly and are intended to be enjoyed while young. A British mild is another good option for a quick turnaround. For best results, keep the OG on the small side...they will be ready quicker, and your wedding guests won't get too smashed!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
The gallon of headspace isn't an issue, it will quickly fill up with Co2 from fermentation. Personally though, I think you can never have too many fermenters! Even a Better Bottle or carboy is cheap amortized over the dozens (or hundreds!) of batches you will ultimately use them for.

Go for a hefe, if you like them. They ferment quickly and are intended to be enjoyed while young. A British mild is another good option or a quick turnaround. For best results, keep the OG on the small side...they will be ready quicker, and your wedding guests won't get too smashed!
dont you want them to get smashed?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineexampl View Post
dont you want them to get smashed?
Depends on how large of a security deposit the reception hall is charging!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post

Go for a hefe, if you like them. They ferment quickly and are intended to be enjoyed while young. A British mild is another good option or a quick turnaround. For best results, keep the OG on the small side...they will be ready quicker, and your wedding guests won't get too smashed!
Thanks for the input. I just started brewing a month ago and just bottled my first batch. Have not made a hefe yet so I think I will give that a try. I can just add the cost of more equipment to the "official wedding budget".

Mick

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hey mick, perfect fermenting temps in our iowa basements right now... mine is a consistent 62 deg, that would put the fermentation around 68-70, just about perfect for a nice hefe. congrats on the wedding!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Quick Reply