3.5 Gallon fermenters instead of 6.5 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of trying to get 1 more 5 gallon batch of beer started and finished for my wedding guests to enjoy in less than 7 weeks. (Weeding is July 25th) I already have 2 batchs in 6.5 gallon bucket ferminators. I was able to pick up 2 3.5 gallon buckets today from food service.

I want to know if using a 3.5 gal bucket as a primary to ferment 2.5 gal of beer will leave too much air-space at the top and result in substandard beer. I would rather not spend the money for another 6.5 gallon bucket set-up if I am only going to use it once for this special occasion.

Any thoughts...recomendations? Perhaps trying to get another ale done, bottled and condictioned in just over 6 weeks might be pushing it.

thanks,

mick

The gallon of headspace isn't an issue, it will quickly fill up with Co2 from fermentation. Personally though, I think you can never have too many fermenters! Even a Better Bottle or carboy is cheap amortized over the dozens (or hundreds!) of batches you will ultimately use them for.

Go for a hefe, if you like them. They ferment quickly and are intended to be enjoyed while young. A British mild is another good option for a quick turnaround. For best results, keep the OG on the small side...they will be ready quicker, and your wedding guests won't get too smashed! :drunk:

The gallon of headspace isn't an issue, it will quickly fill up with Co2 from fermentation. Personally though, I think you can never have too many fermenters! Even a Better Bottle or carboy is cheap amortized over the dozens (or hundreds!) of batches you will ultimately use them for.

Go for a hefe, if you like them. They ferment quickly and are intended to be enjoyed while young. A British mild is another good option or a quick turnaround. For best results, keep the OG on the small side...they will be ready quicker, and your wedding guests won't get too smashed! :drunk:
dont you want them to get smashed? :eek:

Go for a hefe, if you like them. They ferment quickly and are intended to be enjoyed while young. A British mild is another good option or a quick turnaround. For best results, keep the OG on the small side...they will be ready quicker, and your wedding guests won't get too smashed! :drunk:

Thanks for the input. I just started brewing a month ago and just bottled my first batch. Have not made a hefe yet so I think I will give that a try. I can just add the cost of more equipment to the "official wedding budget".

Mick

hey mick, perfect fermenting temps in our iowa basements right now... mine is a consistent 62 deg, that would put the fermentation around 68-70, just about perfect for a nice hefe. congrats on the wedding!

Latest posts

Back