Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 20 feet too short for a chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #21
5 Is Not Enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshp1
Have you ordered from them before? Their prices seem too good to be true
Me and several others on this site. No reason not to order from them that Ive found.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #22
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Man. I feel like a fool now. At that price, I'm junking my 20' into a prechill and making a big one.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 01-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #23
kmlavoy
Recipes 

No need to feel like a fool. I got 20' from Home Depot, added some compression fittings, and I went from knockout to 75 degrees in 20 minutes.

That's not too shabby, especially when you consider that I used the hot water at the beginning to rinse out my dirty mash tun, and clean off the back porch, which had suffered the effects of a massive boil over. 20 feet is fine for winter time.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Is Not Enough
Do a search for refrigeration tubing. Eventually, you'll end up here
I paid almost as much for 25' from the local hardware store as 50' costs on that site. Always a day late ...........

Thanks for that link.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check ace hardware storese for copper. I went to one the other day and they had 25' of 1/2 for 39, which i thought was a steal, i dont need it but i bought it anywways. I got home and it was actually 10' and i was pissed. I returned and happned to go to another ace hardware and they had the same thing for 39and it was actually 25' this time. I think they havnt changed the pricing in a while becuase it rang up as $50 but i told them it said elsewise and they changed it for me (they did this at both stores) . TO be more specific go to rockys ace hardware in massachusetts.

The 20' chiller works well espescially wiht nh water (i seems to be a bit colder), And if you move to ten gallon batches i ahve a 25' 1/2 chiller and my 20' sits on top of it a perfect fit for 10 gallons in a keggle.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #26
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

OMG that place rocks. $129 for 50' of 3/8 at lowes vs $35 here?? Does seem too good to be true, but also too good to not at least chance it. The IC might be coming my way sooner than I thought.

3/8 OD is what most people use right?

How much do all the fitting cost? You can buy one from NB for 56.99 with hose fittings. 25 feet. Prolly about what it would cost to make a 50 footer from the website above but having the it shipped to your door ready to go if you don't wanna buy a torch

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #27
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's true, I ordered from them a couple months ago and got everything in good condition and everything

Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #28
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep. I ordered from them a few weeks ago. They shipped pretty quick and got here in pretty good shape.

The fittings are pretty cheap, regardless of whether you go compression or torch. Shouldn't be more than $10-15 to get 3/8 to garden hose for both.

You can also make a CFC on the cheap as well per the tutorial if you wanna make two CFC's and sell/gift one.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #29
visitor
Recipes 

I also purchased some tubing from ICS Industries. They had the tubing to me within a week, I would do business with them again and have no reservations about recommending them as well.

Hoping to fire up my 23ft CFC very soon. Right now the city water here is freezing so it should be no problem to get the wort down to cool. In the summer my water has been really warm so that will be the true test.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #30
mavol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse
OMG that place rocks. $129 for 50' of 3/8 at lowes vs $35 here?? Does seem too good to be true, but also too good to not at least chance it. The IC might be coming my way sooner than I thought.

3/8 OD is what most people use right?

How much do all the fitting cost? You can buy one from NB for 56.99 with hose fittings. 25 feet. Prolly about what it would cost to make a 50 footer from the website above but having the it shipped to your door ready to go if you don't wanna buy a torch
Do take into consideration the type of tubing that is being sold at the hardware stores. There is a substantial price difference between refrigeration, type L, and type K tubing. For all intensive purposes (and correct me if I'm wrong) brewers won't need anything but refrigeration rated tubing.

Quick Reply