Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 2 Zone Fermentation Chamber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
zacc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing View Post
Wow, nice build! I was just drawing up a similar build this morning. I'm planning on using refrigeration vs air conditioner though so I can get one part cold enough to force carb. How many fermentors/cornies will that hold?
I should be able to get it pretty cool with the AC unit, just might need to add a fan to blow over the coils to keep them from freezing up.

I'd estimate it can hold about 5 carboys or 12 cornies per section.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
c0bra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Would you be willing to put your sketchup plan online somewhere?

Primary: Mirror Pond Clone, Moose Drool Clone

Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
zacc
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Would you be willing to put your sketchup plan online somewhere?
Sure thing, you should be able to download it here.

I didn't put all of the details in the model, such as doors, top, electrical etc. I mainly just wanted to get a better plan on how to frame it. I framed each section independently like the image below shows.

Some of the dimensions I used were based on where I was going to be keeping it. For example I used 4x6 on the bottom and gave it that lip so it would fit closer to the wall in garage. I used the chosen depth to make sure I could still fit 2 cars in the garage.

I also didn't originally plan on putting casters on it. Once I started putting it together I realized that even empty it was going to be tough to move it without them. With the casters added it barely cleared my garage door. If I were to do it over I would probably use 2x4's for the base and maybe even shorten each section by a few inches.

I took a lot of time to ensure the chamber would last a long time. I've read about a lot of people who build something like this and end up throwing it out after a few years due to mold or other problems. The frame on this is definitely sound, my biggest concern was moisture. Between how well I sealed everything up and the moisture absorber I don't think I will have any problems. I also made sure the A/C unit could easily be removed and replaced if needed. This thing should be chilling for many years to come !
ferm-chamber-pieces.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacc View Post
Once I find a better power supply I should be able to get more speed and better air movement with them, if it's still low I will upgrade them to 120mm fans.
How about something like this? I have this same unit and I used it for years to power two fans on a salt water reef aquarium lighting system. It has 6 voltage settings.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=120-536
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
zacc
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
How about something like this? I have this same unit and I used it for years to power two fans on a salt water reef aquarium lighting system. It has 6 voltage settings.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=120-536
That looks like it would work great but it's a little fancier than what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for an old 12v wall wort, although the versatility of something like that would come in handy for other situations. I've dug through my old electronics and haven't found any spares that have the right output yet though. Gonna probably just order one from amazon, saw one that will work for about $6.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
c0bra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Sure thing, you should be able to download it here.
I've read about a lot of people who build something like this and end up throwing it out after a few years due to mold or other problems.
Thanks so much for the sketchup!

That's basically where I'm at. I made a simple glued-up pink 2" closed-cell foam chamber with a hand-sawn and glued plywood platform with areas for the ice jugs underneath and the whole computer fan and light bulbs on a two-stage RANCO. Problem is that I do get quite a lot of condensation from the jugs during the summer months, which leaks out because the thing isn't sealed at all, and I am getting a good dose of mildewy smell. I think it might have even contributed to an infected witbier I made last month.

It was never meant to last as long as it has, and your solution would be an awesome upgrade, especially with allowing lagering. Keep us updated!

Primary: Mirror Pond Clone, Moose Drool Clone

Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
waffle418
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken ~ Colonel Sanders
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
That looks like it would work great but it's a little fancier than what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for an old 12v wall wort, although the versatility of something like that would come in handy for other situations. I've dug through my old electronics and haven't found any spares that have the right output yet though. Gonna probably just order one from amazon, saw one that will work for about $6.
If you have an extra molex setup you could use this. Being the computer nerd first, I have a few adapters flying around the house that I could use. Other than that, its an awesome build!!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
zacc
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Thanks so much for the sketchup!

That's basically where I'm at. I made a simple glued-up pink 2" closed-cell foam chamber with a hand-sawn and glued plywood platform with areas for the ice jugs underneath and the whole computer fan and light bulbs on a two-stage RANCO. Problem is that I do get quite a lot of condensation from the jugs during the summer months, which leaks out because the thing isn't sealed at all, and I am getting a good dose of mildewy smell. I think it might have even contributed to an infected witbier I made last month.

It was never meant to last as long as it has, and your solution would be an awesome upgrade, especially with allowing lagering. Keep us updated!
No problem, glad to share them.

It sounds like your in the same boat as I was when I decided to build this. I looked into a lot of options before deciding on this build. It would of been a lot easier to just get a few chest freezers but that would have taken up a lot more space and I couldn't have put them in the garage and still fit 2 cars in. Ultimately I decided to have all the features I wanted and to fit in the space I had in mind I was going to have to build something custom.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
NotTechnicallyLegal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How did you finish the outside front to get that seamless appearance? It looks really nice!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
zacc
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTechnicallyLegal View Post
How did you finish the outside front to get that seamless appearance? It looks really nice!
I filled all the seams with this stuff before painting. Ended up using like 4 tubes of the stuff for exterior and interior but it turned out great.
img-20120802-00296.jpg  

Quick Reply