Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 2.5g keg, thoughts on cutting one down.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2.5g keg, thoughts on cutting one down.

I'd like some small kegs, has anyone cut one down and welded? any thoughts on how hard it will be?

Yuri?? could you take a pic of the one you cut the top off of so I can see the guts??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I think it'd be a piece of cake! I'll post a pic after dinner. It's just really thin sheet metal all the way around. Good heat control coupled with gas purging the inside of the tank would probably give you great results.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Here's the picture I promised:

The sheet metal thickness measures .028" (about 22 ga). The tool I used to cut it is pictured to the right. I had it completely cut in about 5 minutes.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Side note: I'm thinking of using these cut-offs as the start to some 7-9 gallon fermenters. I think Sabco or More Beer sells some made out of two cornies welded together. This would be down the road (probably this Spring), as I have too much to finish already - as well as going out of town for a while.

I'll shut up and let somebody else chime in now.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Side note: I'm thinking of using these cut-offs as the start to some 7-9 gallon fermenters. I think Sabco or More Beer sells some made out of two cornies welded together. This would be down the road (probably this Spring), as I have too much to finish already - as well as going out of town for a while.

I'll shut up and let somebody else chime in now.

Wow that does look pretty easy, I don't know why but I was thinking they were double wall.

Once you collect a few you might consider doing small kegs and fermentors..

I'll have to see if I can get hooked up with some cheap kegs and see how it goes. My buddy and I are currently splitting 5 gallon batches so we can brew more frequent and it would be much more convienent to do a small keg.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
tron
Recipes 

I know this thread has been dormant for a little while but I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I can weld mild and cold rolled well how much harder would stainless be to weld than those materials? If I could also get a little more insight on how the project would be undertaken so as to make the best possible welds so the inside is smooth to prevent bacteria spots. Does the cut keg hold its shape rather well? I only have access to a mig welder, hobart handler 125 with gas setup, will this be a problem for me? thanks.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
I know this thread has been dormant for a little while but I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I can weld mild and cold rolled well how much harder would stainless be to weld than those materials? If I could also get a little more insight on how the project would be undertaken so as to make the best possible welds so the inside is smooth to prevent bacteria spots. Does the cut keg hold its shape rather well? I only have access to a mig welder, hobart handler 125 with gas setup, will this be a problem for me? thanks.

I've yet to be able to try my solar flux but this is suppose to take the place of back gassing, if you used pure argon and stainless wire you should be able to weld up the stainless just fine. I also can't speak to how well it holds shape, I'd imagine with a few tacks it should be just fine.

Do you have one of those little air powered sanders, the disc type? you could use one of those to sand the inside smooth after you were finished. The lids are fairly large so getting inside won't be a problem.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
tron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Do you have one of those little air powered sanders, the disc type? you could use one of those to sand the inside smooth after you were finished. The lids are fairly large so getting inside won't be a problem.
Thats a good point I never thought about using one of those on the inside. By chance would you know if all kegs have relatively the same wall thickness, I know in a previous post it was stated that they are about 22 gauge, but that seems pretty thin. All thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
Thats a good point I never thought about using one of those on the inside. By chance would you know if all kegs have relatively the same wall thickness, I know in a previous post it was stated that they are about 22 gauge, but that seems pretty thin. All thoughts appreciated, thanks.

I have no idea. my sanke keg is much thicker than that. I have not had the chance to cut open a corny yet.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Save a bit of work. Cut one keg high & one low. Combine large & small pieces producing one 2.5 gal. and one 7.5 gal.

Told you I was lazy!

I need to get some welding gear. Way too many projects for a lazy person.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply