The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 2.5 Tier Brew Stand - Design Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Chad_C
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 2.5 Tier Brew Stand - Design Questions

I am at the point where its starting to get necessary to build a brew rig to brew outdoors, and out of the kitchen. I ran into an old neighbor who is willing to trade some homebrew to build me a rig. I had designed a 2.5 tier brew stand, but am now left with some questions about how feasible it actually is.

I call it a 2.5 tier because I found a design by someone else similar to this, and that's what they referred to it as. Its not quite a 3 tier because there is a pump involved, and its definitely not a 2 tier as you can see. Trying to create as small as a stand as possible to save space.

Will the march pump pump water approximately 5' high? Does anybody see any issues other than the pump maybe not being sufficient to raise the water that height?

It will be propane fired, with 2 banjo burners under the HLT and the Brew Kettle. Gravity fed from the Mash Tun to the Carboy. Will most likely cool with a CFC.

Any help / input is greatly appreciated!

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer!

Last edited by Chad_C; 10-24-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added Link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
porterpounder
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice design. A March pump will easily handle a 5' height. Got mine pumping 6'+ for years without an issue. Plenty of flow.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Gillman
Recipes 

if I was going to build a space saving brewstand I would model it after a TopTier but make the burners fold up to save additional space. However, that looks pretty cool. I just don't like the idea of getting out the ladder to mash in. I've spent enough of my life on a ladder.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
if I was going to build a space saving brewstand I would model it after a TopTier but make the burners fold up to save additional space. However, that looks pretty cool. I just don't like the idea of getting out the ladder to mash in. I've spent enough of my life on a ladder.
That'd be my thought as well. I lowered my stand a month ago, because I had to stand on a stepstool to check mash temp, stir the mash, etc. Emptying the MLT will be a PITA up there.

However, if you don't mind, your design will work perfectly.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Chad_C
Recipes 

I'm pretty tall where I will be able to see into the top of the mash tun. I'm 6'-5" so while I'm sure reaching up to stir the mash will get tiresome, I won't need to climb a ladder all the time to do it. The graphic of the person in the picture is quite a bit shorter than me and the dimensions aren't set in stone yet. I haven't measured the height of my carboy, so that may bring the total height down some.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Chad_C
Recipes 

Would there be any issues with a cooler being above a direct fired HLT like this? Would the heat be hot enough to worry about that high above the burner? I wouldn't think so, but though I would pose the question.

Maybe it will help hold the temps?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
cgruelle
Recipes 

If it were me, I would move the HLT to the top, put the BK under the HLT, and then put the MT where you have the BK now. In that configuration you could gravity drain from your HLT to your MT and use you pump to recirculate, transfer to the BK, and for whirl-pooling, etc.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
MooMooBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If you are set on having the hlt below the mash, i would drop the hlt down as far as possible (if you are brewing on a cement or heat resistant floor) and make sure your cooler is well insulated from any heat throw off from the hlt burner. or else you risk a melting hazard. also, you may want to shift your pump away from your burners (high heat causes all sorts of bad things to pumps....). just my experience.

MOOMOO

Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Chad_C
Recipes 

I plan on shielding the pump from both heat and splashes to prolong its life. You now have me worrying about the heat getting to the MT above the burner. I wouldn't think that there would be that much heat escaping above the HLT.

I had originally thought about the traditional 3 tier setup, but I got a sweet deal on a pump, and only plan on doing batch sparging. With the HLT on the bottom, I wont have anything to clean out of the pump, and wont need to sanitize the pump prior to brewing. A quick rinse and it should be good to go.

Got home and measured my carboy. Looks like I can lower the whole rig by about 6". That will still put about 12 1/2" between the top of my HLT and the bottom of the MT, or 36" above the burner. I may have to build a shield of some sort under the MT cooler.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
thorongil
Hobbit at heart
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a similar setup that I really like. I have a burner under the mash tun and HLT doubles as electric HERMS. I'm glad I have the extra clearances though, because the HLT gets hot if either of the other burners are on...

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Quick Reply