The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 2 1/2 gallon keg from garden sprayer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 2 1/2 gallon keg from garden sprayer

I found a new, in box, stainless garden sprayer at a garage sale, almost free. I've put a party hose on the outlet. The pump port is about 2" in diameter, big enough for inspection and get a carboy brush in. But I want to get rid of the pump to avoid sanitation issues with all those parts. I've made a clear plexiglass block off for the pump port. Now I would like to mount a ball-lock gas inlet, so I can carbonate. I don't want to cut up a 5 gallon corny for the piece that's welded/soldered on. Is a fitting available ? Perhaps as an extension hose fitting? Nothing at a couple HBS on the net...

Otherwise, I'll drill and tap the plexiglass for 1/4 pipe, and screw in something less elegant...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 AM   #2
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Part #K168 at norhternbrewer is what you need.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Exactly what I asked for! But for $20 by the time I get er done, perhaps I'll go with the less elegant concept for now. While I keep my etes open for a $5 corny...I did find a $12 plastic gismo (#keg580)at morebeer that screws onto a 2 litre bottle, to carbonate small batchs? Or, how big of a bottle uses that cap? there I go, thinking again...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 09-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

People use schrader valves (tire valves) bonded to bottle caps, that might work. Be really careful about the amount of pressure you put into the tank. Does it have a relief valve?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 09-28-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Releif valve? Not yet, but I'm not done yet either. Then, I'll fill it totally with water and 'hydro test' it to the pressure releive valve activation.

72 batches so far,
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut

Old 10-03-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oh well, scrap one spray tank.

I couldn't braze the stainless tank. I don't know the alloy, it was resistance welded when built. Just getting it hot made it crack. I could see the crack was offset with a braze over the top, so not from cooling. I tried brazing over the crack, more cracks spider webbed out. Ran out of rod. Next time I'll try silver solder.

By the way, I've lost my cursor on this form. Makes it a PITA to edit.

72 batches so far,
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut

Quick Reply