Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 1950 International Harvester kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
Absolutely beautiful Although.....as the owner of an John Deere garden tractor, and a restored 1950 M.....I might be temped to paint it green and yellow.....sort of poetic justic if you will
An IH fridge painted JD green....that would be very wrong!!!

Although, I guess a Ford blue isn't far from that. Sorta like getting slapped vs getting punched.

Thanks for the compliments. I can't wait to get it done too. I will have the handle back next weekend, and should be able to get it all put together then. I will need to lay up some fiberglass to repair the broken plastic door jam piece. Luckily, I didn't need to buy a new door seal, for two reasons. The replacement seals are about $10/ft. That would cost me another $60!! I still need to give the original a good scrubbing though.

The real fun will be getting the latch mechanism all lined up and adjusted properly. I am anticipating that to be a bit of a pain. Hopefully not though.

My welding buddy that's fixing up the handle said he would make me a drip tray too. Just need to make a cardboard template for the slight curve of the door. HOORAY!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
jlb307
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 22

this is an awesome build!
have you thought about using bondo or anything for the busted door jamb piece?
i have a 1950 westinghouse that i finally have to get crackin' on and the jamb is busted in the exact same way.

are you getting anything rechromed, or are you going with paint?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Nice build. In my best friends eyes (born and raised farm boy) internationals need to be red (I think that is right). Also needed to sidetrack the topic to say nice monster, I own a yellow '00 900.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb307 View Post
this is an awesome build!
have you thought about using bondo or anything for the busted door jamb piece?
i have a 1950 westinghouse that i finally have to get crackin' on and the jamb is busted in the exact same way.

are you getting anything rechromed, or are you going with paint?
The handle will be polished, as it is aluminum. There are covers for the door hinges, and I have not decided what to do to them yet. I may just spray them white and see how it looks...I can always strip them and get them chromed later on. I also would like to order some chromed or stainless flanges instead of the black ones. Maybe even chrome tap handles, but I might put engine related parts on for tap handles eventually. All just little stuff here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly View Post
Nice build. In my best friends eyes (born and raised farm boy) internationals need to be red (I think that is right). Also needed to sidetrack the topic to say nice monster, I own a yellow '00 900.

I know the IH lover's will be bummed about it not being IH red....I will just call my Irish Red that will be in it IH Irish Red

I am new to Ducatis. Just sold my 650 V-strom to get it (had that since 2004!). I've wanted one for a LONG time, and my wife said do it. Who am I to argue It's a 2013 M796 20th Anniversary Edition (#75 of 200). The odometer currently says 0. As in it has not been ridden, at all! We got about 6" of snow the night I bought it... waiting for that to melt so I can ride it. The other problem is we are about to have our second kid. So if I don't take it out before Tuesday, I fear it will be another couple weeks before I can. I just keep telling myself that it will never look this pretty again, so enjoy the newness. It's not helping LOL!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mostly done. Just need to fix up the broken bottom valance piece, and mount the manifold/regulator inside the way I want.

I found a few spare minutes here and there to work on it (new baby, and 22mo old to help take care of!). Had to order a couple little things from Kegconnection to make the HP Taprite regulator hook up to the 2 way manifold inside. HP fittings are Left Hand thread, and the manifold is Right Hand thread.... so KUDOS to TOM at KEGCONNECTION.COM for calling me on his cell phone to help me find the exact parts.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

I'm jealous, that thing is a beauty!

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There is NO REASON for anyone to be jealous of it.
That was the whole reason I wanted to post a "build thread" about it.
You can find a vintage fridge on craigslist for cheap ($50-$200), and depending on condition and abilities, you can paint it yourself, and throw some kegs in it. If I would've painted it myself with spray paint, I would be in it for less than $200, even with sanding, priming and painting. As it is, I paid good money for a superior auto body paint job, but not necessary!

I am thinking I might try to snag up another one sometime, and do it again. Selling one of the two when I'm done....or not. LOL!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
There is NO REASON for anyone to be jealous of it.
Lol, just think you did a great job
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Schlimly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Yes, they made refrigerators.... thought I would get that out of the way.
Kind of funny, growing up we had a IH Scout, Tractor, Combine, Fridge, and Freezer. The ALL IH farm so to speak

Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
freeokw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Very Nice Work!
I'm in Lincoln too. If you don't mind my asking, who did your paint job? I'm considering a similar project with an old Coldspot and was wondering who I could get to paint it if I don't do it myself.
Thanks!
Keith

Quick Reply