Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 19.7 Monster Coffin Build
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 816
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_fellow View Post
Mine is just going to involve painting the exterior of the freezer black, adding the 1x8" red maple color with a "gunstock" stain, and adding the same thing on the bottom ( basically a 1x4" collar that will cover up the wheels and such on the bottom). This one won't look like a peice of furniture as much as a coffin build but I am still going to try and make it look nice. Here is a pic of my previous build. That one cost me $1250. Attachment 72948


My plan tonigt is to ruin the brand new 19.7 cf freezer and sand it enough for the new paint to stick .
You sold that one for $2500?
__________________

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

evandena is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 273
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

That's correct

__________________
907_fellow is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Kershner_Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 188
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_fellow View Post
Mine is just going to involve painting the exterior of the freezer black, adding the 1x8" red maple color with a "gunstock" stain, and adding the same thing on the bottom ( basically a 1x4" collar that will cover up the wheels and such on the bottom). This one won't look like a peice of furniture as much as a coffin build but I am still going to try and make it look nice. Here is a pic of my previous build. That one cost me $1250. Attachment 72948


My plan tonigt is to ruin the brand new 19.7 cf freezer and sand it enough for the new paint to stick .
I saw that work of art on craiglist (I'm in Anchorage)! Good luck on the new build, looking forward to the final product.
__________________
Kershner_Ale is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 273
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershner_Ale

I saw that work of art on craiglist (I'm in Anchorage)! Good luck on the new build, looking forward to the final product.
You should have bought her! Know anyone else that wants to buy one up there? It sold to a lady on fort rich
__________________
907_fellow is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Kershner_Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 188
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I already have one taking up room I don't have to spare in the garage That one will get converted to a ferm chamber and I'll be building a new keezer this winter. I don't know anyone looking to buy one, you could try asking on Great Northern Brew Club's facebook page.

Hell, if I knew there were such a strong market for kegerators in AK I'd start building my own to sell!

__________________
Kershner_Ale is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 273
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershner_Ale
Hell, if I knew there were such a strong market for kegerators in AK I'd start building my own to sell!
No you don't want to do that. I got in locked down. Don't need any others encroaching on my potential clientele!
__________________
907_fellow is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 273
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

On another note, anyone have problems with primer sticking to the freezer? I used an automotive primer and it didn't want to stick all that well. Kinda did the whole crack and run thing. I have seen spray paint do this before when painting interior automotive parts but I didn't think it would be an issue on the freezer, since I sanded the whole thing. Hopefully the appliance enamel will go on better.

__________________
907_fellow is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_fellow View Post
On another note, anyone have problems with primer sticking to the freezer? I used an automotive primer and it didn't want to stick all that well. Kinda did the whole crack and run thing. I have seen spray paint do this before when painting interior automotive parts but I didn't think it would be an issue on the freezer, since I sanded the whole thing. Hopefully the appliance enamel will go on better.
Don't they make appliance paint specifically for these applications or am I wrong?
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 273
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

They do. That's what I am using for the top coat, but I tried to lay down some automotive primer and the freezer didn't bond with it. I'm sure the appliance paint for the top coat will stick better.

__________________
907_fellow is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
KPSquared
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Posts: 331
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

What did you clean with after sanding?

Might just be the enamel on their is not compatible with auto paints.

__________________
Watershed Brewing Co.
KPSquared is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
 



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS