The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 15 Gallon Fermenter Table Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #41
JKalpowsky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

any reason you couldn't figure up a screw on tube to the bottom for filling kegs? have it attach like your yeast catcher, but fill a keg from the bottom? Slip it in the keg, slide the keg under, screw on tube, open valve, fill keg? I'd draw something up of what i'm envisioning, but I don't feel like playing with MSPaint today >.>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #42
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrew63
SDB, built my mounting shelf and racking arm last Thursday, perfect height for kegging. Brewed a dunkelweizen Friday and pumped it right into the conical. So awesome! No lifting! I took pics, but am working a 48 hr shift this weekend, so I'll post them tomorrow. Going to stop at lowes on the way home and get the pieces for the yeast catcher as well. I will definitely get another one of these, but the full drain model like you have.
Brew On:-)
The yeast catcher holds about 1Qt so I'm assuming I will only need to dump twice!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #43
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKalpowsky
any reason you couldn't figure up a screw on tube to the bottom for filling kegs? have it attach like your yeast catcher, but fill a keg from the bottom? Slip it in the keg, slide the keg under, screw on tube, open valve, fill keg? I'd draw something up of what i'm envisioning, but I don't feel like playing with MSPaint today >.>
Yup, my whole intention was to fill the keg from the bottom! I'm trying to perfect getting most of the junk (yeast/scrub) out first before it ends up in my brew :-)
Cheers

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #44
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Looks great!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #45
FireBrew63
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I decided to wait until I can score some SS FNPT 1" valves before I build the yeast catcher, but here's the current set up:

100_3328.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #46
Pittbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

These are awesome. How are you finding them to hold up to cleanup? Not scratching easily or anything from a carboybrush or are you using some other method to clean?

Bumped for reference on where to source those tanks too

Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #47
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrew63
I decided to wait until I can score some SS FNPT 1" valves before I build the yeast catcher, but here's the current set up:
I have my 1" SS valves I might look to sale!!!
Your setup looks great, sweet and simple:-) brew on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittbrewer
These are awesome. How are you finding them to hold up to cleanup? Not scratching easily or anything from a carboybrush or are you using some other method to clean?

Bumped for reference on where to source those tanks too
I just pour some water in to flush the remaining junk out swish around with my hand and drain:-) then I add more lightly soapy, real light, water clean around the inside with my hand splashing up under the collar! After I drain that out I flush with clean water making sure I get the residue out!!! When I sterilize I do the same thing, pour water/iodophor mix into vessel and splash around making sure I cover everything, use a spray bottle to spray lid and lid collar and wah-la done!

- Pliny the Elder

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #48
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
My basement holds great fermenting temps :-)
AWESOME build. I like the innovative yeast catcher.....seems like a winner!

Be wary of thinking that the ambient air temp is enough to control liquid ferm temps. The biological activity of the yeast generates heat, which can take you several degrees out of range.....especially when you're dealing with large volumes!

You could very easily drop a coil of copper tubing in the top of each one (basically an immersion chiller) and just have a minifridge with a temp controlled submersible pump and water/glycol reservoir. Might cost a bit more, but it's a project you can build towards in bits and pieces....plus it'd probably all fit under the table!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #49
brewmcq

Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2507

I only wanted to comment that I feel there needs to be more pictures of the OP's dog... I really miss my Dalmatians. :-(

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #50
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve

AWESOME build. I like the innovative yeast catcher.....seems like a winner!

Be wary of thinking that the ambient air temp is enough to control liquid ferm temps. The biological activity of the yeast generates heat, which can take you several degrees out of range.....especially when you're dealing with large volumes!

You could very easily drop a coil of copper tubing in the top of each one (basically an immersion chiller) and just have a minifridge with a temp controlled submersible pump and water/glycol reservoir. Might cost a bit more, but it's a project you can build towards in bits and pieces....plus it'd probably all fit under the table!
I like that idea:-)

- Pliny the Elder

Quick Reply