New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 15 Gallon Fermenter Table Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #181
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas
So it seems like the basic premise is that your "yeast catcher" is really a "yeast and everything else catcher" and your goal is not so much harvesting the yeast (as I don't see how you would be separating the yeast from the trub after you collect it), just getting the beer off of the trub and yeast and having a clearer beer when kegging?
CORRECT! Kinda
But yeast can still be harvested from the first dumping after fermentation is complete.
Not any different than collecting the yeast from the bottom of an Ale Pail after fermentation. Check out the wiki on yeast washing.
It makes the entire secondary process much easier also; Once the first dumping the clearing process begins in the yeast/shrub catcher:-)
Cheers

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #182
Jeebas
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
CORRECT! Kinda
But yeast can still be harvested from the first dumping after fermentation is complete.
Not any different than collecting the yeast from the bottom of an Ale Pail after fermentation. Check out the wiki on yeast washing.
It makes the entire secondary process much easier also; Once the first dumping the clearing process begins in the yeast/shrub catcher:-)
Cheers
Sweet! I'm gonna have to add a build like this to my list (yay! and ugh! at the same time)

Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #183
lonepalm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
How much will your yeast/shrub catcher hold? for my 30 gallon fermenter I made a 2 quart catcher, I may make one that is 3 quart or 1 gallon.

Same goes for the 15 gallon fermenter, right now I have a 1 quart. I should move it up to possibly 2quart or 3 quart.

You have to find the sweet spot where everything collects in there during fermentation and secondary times.

If you have a smaller catcher try changing it out more often or make a larger one.
Do you filter anything through a screen or have a hop screen that cuts down on trub? I usually just dump it all in

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #184
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm

Do you filter anything through a screen or have a hop screen that cuts down on trub? I usually just dump it all in
I use a grain bag for my hop additions during the boil. Check out another concept, search HOP SPIDER!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #185
kumachan
Recipes 

I understand that you have the valve open to get the first batch of yeast/junk (Primary). But once you clean it out and re-attach it and open it again to collect the (Secondary) yeast/junk; are you not opening up and allowing a 1-2quart air/oxygen bubble to pass through the leftovers and agitating it into the beer?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #186
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumachan
I understand that you have the valve open to get the first batch of yeast/junk (Primary). But once you clean it out and re-attach it and open it again to collect the (Secondary) yeast/junk; are you not opening up and allowing a 1-2quart air/oxygen bubble to pass through the leftovers and agitating it into the beer?
YES!
A few times I've injected the catcher with CO2 and installed, but I haven't had a problem with air getting in from the catcher. But once the air goes to the top I'm sure the CO2 Sitting on top of the beer pushes the air out!

- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #187
david_the_greek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

darn you people and your inspiring me to spend more money.... Very cool though. Is there a general consensus on which opening to get, Full drain vs the inductor tank with bulkhead fitting? I'd imagine the full drain is nice because you don't have edges for gunk to collect.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #188
ghoti
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Where did you get your three piece ball valves from?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #189
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Where did you get your three piece ball valves from?
I search most of my stuff thru eBay or amazon first for any deals! I bought the plastic valves I have now from Menards ( home depot or lowes type of place).

- Pliny the Elder

Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #190
scottkct
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey I've had my eye on this trub turd catcher. I'm not an overly cautious person but the idea of using PVC for extended periods of time makes my go HMMM.

I just ran across this and thought it would be a prefect upgrade. It requires converting your 1" thread to a tri-clamp ferrule but that in itself would be a nice upgrade. They come in .5L and 1L all the way up to 20L sizes. $65 for the .5L as of writing this, $69 for 1L.

http://www.gwkent.com/stainless-steel-bottles.html

Quick Reply