New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 15 Gallon Fermenter Table Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #171
GrillManBill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
I've been pretty busy at work, I'm keg'n and bottling tonight so I I remember I'll take a look!
Check out post #96 and let me know if that is enough info
It looks like you used 4" for the body. I think I will try the 3" clear and make the body longer. I will have plenty of clearance in my planned stand. I will shoot for about a quart of capacity. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #172
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

kinda breaks my heart to see all that awesome yeast get poured down the drain...maybe you should ziplock bag the next harvest and mail it to me...i would gladly pay shipping!

newby

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #173
ghoti
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Spotted, how tall is it from the floor to the top of the fermentor? I am just trying to get an idea if this will work for me as I am working on building a fermentation chamber.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #174
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Spotted, how tall is it from the floor to the top of the fermentor? I am just trying to get an idea if this will work for me as I am working on building a fermentation chamber.
71.5" for the 30 gallon fermenter & 66.5" for the 15 gallon!

The 30 gallon if I cut a larger hole in the table could lower roughly 8.5". The 15 gallon could lower roughly 4".

I guess you could possible build the the table high enough to fit a bucket under the yeast catcher. A typical brewing bucket is 17". Just make sure you can get it under the ball valve and yeast catcher if your going to have one of those!!

Check post #122 in this thread for some other measurements

Good luck

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #175
lonepalm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The last batch a ran...First AG BTW. i'm still having trouble getting things to settle into the catcher after i dump the yeast.

This last time i had a 2' section of 1/4" copper tubing, sanitized inside/out and i was breaking the cake after i put the catcher back on.starting to think i need to go to a larger valve and have the reducer after the valve instead of before.

thoughts?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #176
lonepalm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post
Few pics, not much dropped except beer from under cake. May have to crack the lid a little to get the vacuum lock out?
Post 111 on page 11

Photo on right shows valve location

Last edited by lonepalm; 02-20-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: f'd up

Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #177
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm
The last batch a ran...First AG BTW. i'm still having trouble getting things to settle into the catcher after i dump the yeast.

This last time i had a 2' section of 1/4" copper tubing, sanitized inside/out and i was breaking the cake after i put the catcher back on.starting to think i need to go to a larger valve and have the reducer after the valve instead of before.

thoughts?
I typically leave the valve open during fermentation, so most I the stuff settles in the catcher! Sounds like you may have had the valve closed and it formed a hard layer above the valve!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #178
lonepalm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it was all open..the yeast dump was full, just can't get it to settle back down....only new addition to the mix is a 9" gasket to seal the lid. maybe once it is off the yeast. remove the sanitizer from the airlock?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #179
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post
it was all open..the yeast dump was full, just can't get it to settle back down....only new addition to the mix is a 9" gasket to seal the lid. maybe once it is off the yeast. remove the sanitizer from the airlock?
How much will your yeast/shrub catcher hold? for my 30 gallon fermenter I made a 2 quart catcher, I may make one that is 3 quart or 1 gallon.

Same goes for the 15 gallon fermenter, right now I have a 1 quart. I should move it up to possibly 2quart or 3 quart.

You have to find the sweet spot where everything collects in there during fermentation and secondary times.

If you have a smaller catcher try changing it out more often or make a larger one.

- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #180
Jeebas
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So it seems like the basic premise is that your "yeast catcher" is really a "yeast and everything else catcher" and your goal is not so much harvesting the yeast (as I don't see how you would be separating the yeast from the trub after you collect it), just getting the beer off of the trub and yeast and having a clearer beer when kegging?

Quick Reply