Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 15 Gallon Fermenter Table Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #161
EarthBound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjham9985 View Post
So the websites I'm looking at show the lid as a solid lid...dont we need the airlock? Am i missing something in the 16 pages of this thread about adding one?
Modifications must be made for the lid to actually seal. Here's an example of said modication. So I guess it's OK to not have an airlock. I sealed mine, but I'm still not using an airlock. I installed a bulkhead through the lid. Other people on this forum have done the same, I think.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #162
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound

Modifications must be made for the lid to actually seal. Here's an example of said modication. So I guess it's OK to not have an airlock. I sealed mine, but I'm still not using an airlock. I installed a bulkhead through the lid. Other people on this forum have done the same, I think.
I Like:-)

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #163
bblack7489
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

SBD, I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but is there a specific reason that you went from the fancy SS valves and fittings to PVC? I like the idea since it's a tiny fraction of the cost, but if you already had the fittings, why change out to PVC?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #164
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack7489 View Post
SBD, I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but is there a specific reason that you went from the fancy SS valves and fittings to PVC? I like the idea since it's a tiny fraction of the cost, but if you already had the fittings, why change out to PVC?
Lighter, easier to remove and clean, easier to open/close valve. Entire weight of conical lighter to lift and move.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #165
bblack7489
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Right on. I figured that it had to be something relatively compelling for you to decide to switch it out after it was already up and going.

I got my tank from the USP guy today (couldn't pass up the free shipping) and have a bag full of PVC bits and pieces. I'm looking forward to putting mine together and getting it mounted in my fermentation fridge this weekend. Thanks for the guidance.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #166
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Extra photos of the yeast/scrub catcher for the 30 gallon fermenter.
Remove/Clean/Sanitize

image-3172669186.jpg   image-3340314791.jpg   image-4150117660.jpg   image-1031230409.jpg   image-4115782095.jpg  

image-3494160153.jpg   image-1934785095.jpg  

- Pliny the Elder

Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #167
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Man i need to get something like this tired of splitting 10 gal batches into different ferm. Need more time to read these. Need to get back to work.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #168
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarroll86
Man i need to get something like this tired of splitting 10 gal batches into different ferm. Need more time to read these. Need to get back to work.
Take a look at this link also: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/super-simple-15g-plastic-conical-276378/

Read both, great ideas in each thread!!!

- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #169
GrillManBill
Recipes 

Thanks for the information SpottedDog. I am beginning to accumulate pieces for a 15 gallon conical build. I was thinking of using a clear PVC for the body of the yeast/scrub catcher. What is the diameter on the body of the catcher for the 15 gallon? I found 1 ft of 2" clear PVC for $12 plus ship, or 1 ft of 3" for $25. Kinda pricey, but still cheap compared to a real sight glass. I like the idea of being able to see whats going on down there. Thanks again for the ideas!

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-CLEAR-PIPE-NSF-Sch40

Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #170
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillManBill
Thanks for the information SpottedDog. I am beginning to accumulate pieces for a 15 gallon conical build. I was thinking of using a clear PVC for the body of the yeast/scrub catcher. What is the diameter on the body of the catcher for the 15 gallon? I found 1 ft of 2" clear PVC for $12 plus ship, or 1 ft of 3" for $25. Kinda pricey, but still cheap compared to a real sight glass. I like the idea of being able to see whats going on down there. Thanks again for the ideas!

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-CLEAR-PIPE-NSF-Sch40
I've been pretty busy at work, I'm keg'n and bottling tonight so I I remember I'll take a look!
Check out post #96 and let me know if that is enough info

- Pliny the Elder

Quick Reply