The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 120 Volt Stovetop Steel 5 gal Electric Brew Kettle with a Bazooka for pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
peter78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridden View Post
Is the boil element only, or is it stove assisted? Also how long from mash temp to boil?
Looks great....its exactly what I want to do as my glass top stove wont boil more than 3 gallons
It is stove assisted. The stove manual says the element is 2000W. I didn't take exact time but I believe it took 40-50 min. After the boil was achieved I turned the stove element halfway down to 5.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
Nice build....

The kettle is only 32 quarts?

I just bought the same kettle. I only brew 5.5g batches but I like the headroom. Do you think that kettle is big enough?

I might be cutting it close with a 90 min boil.
I have a 32qt. pot and I wish it was larger. I brew 5.25g. batches and it's pretty damn close at times even with a 60M boil. I have to half-cover the pot so any splish-splashes make it back into the pot, sometimes.

I'm going to use it as an HLT down the road and just pony up for a 15g. pot or keggle, even for 5g batches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use two 1500w elements and sparge-to-boil takes maybe 20 minutes...probably more like 15. I heat strike with both elements from 60* to *185 in under an hour while I weight and crush grain, get everything out, etc.

Both elements get a RAPID boil. I have to turn one off at times with a full pot...just for a few minutes as a single element wont hold a rolling boil of 6+gallons by itself.

To the OP: that cord you're using isn't quite enough. You're drawing damn close to, or over 15A with that element, right? I used 12g. 20A extension cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Like the setup! Except.. as above, that element will pull right over 14 amp. You're at 91% of the wattage limit taking into account rated voltages. I would definitely upgrade to 12 awg for everything carrying that load, but ultimately what you have will work fine, just warmly Are you intending to keep this in the limits of a 15 amp outlet?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
peter78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Using it as a HLT down the road is a good idea.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
peter78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post
Like the setup! Except.. as above, that element will pull right over 14 amp. You're at 91% of the wattage limit taking into account rated voltages. I would definitely upgrade to 12 awg for everything carrying that load, but ultimately what you have will work fine, just warmly Are you intending to keep this in the limits of a 15 amp outlet?
Good question. I live in a newer construction and I have two GFCI 20Amp outlets on two separate circuits in my kitchen. I did the research on that. I was aiming at a 2000W element initially which even costs less. I read in a thread here somewhere that it will go just a little over and will cause my breaker to trip. I'm not huge on electric. I know I was close picking up 14 awg but then again it is within the range. I was trying to stay on a budget as well and cut corners whenever possible.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #17
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Cool, with that 20a outlet you're good, just grab that cord during the boil a few times in different places (especially close to connectors) and make sure its at a safe temp.
BTW I don't have a problem running the 2kw element on a 20a, along with a pump. Has never tripped it until I didn't pay attention and ran a coffee-maker at the same time ..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #18
CalypsoCowboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Love the setup, I'm planning the same thing except for a 2000w element and my coil will be built in. Great looking rig.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
peter78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just brewed the other day. it does get warm by the element connection. not too bad though. will use it like that. although if I have to do it again, will use the 12awg cable.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Rooks
Recipes 

Nice setup! Just wondering which grade mesh size you went with? Looking at the mesh selection chart on McMaster, I'm wondering if a 20x20 - 0.030 opening width mesh would be a good choice for pellets?

Quick Reply