Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 1" Stainless Steel lock nuts don't exist in Canada? Anyone have any luck?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 242
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default 1" Stainless Steel lock nuts don't exist in Canada? Anyone have any luck?

Hey everyone,

All I want to do is install an element in my brew kettle, which I thought would be simple; however, I've called every manufacturer and distributor I can think of in Canada looking for a 1" Stainless Steel lock nut (Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Home Hardware, Brafasco, Acklands Grainger, Noble, etc) and nobody's got them. They've all told me the only place I'll be able to get one is McMaster Carr, and they won't ship one to Canada unless I'm on a business account with a certain dollar value. I've tried contacting Bargain Fittings and ordering their $9 locknut/o-ring combo, but they won't ship it to Canada for less than $25 for some very murky "customs" reason.

Short of driving 300 kilometres across the border, does anyone have any ideas where I might find one?

__________________
Geordan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
blackdak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: fredericton, NB
Posts: 23
Default

Where are you from? I leave for the US in a week on training, you could order it and ship it to my hotel and then I could mail it to you. Just a thought

__________________
blackdak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,752
Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdak View Post
Where are you from? I leave for the US in a week on training, you could order it and ship it to my hotel and then I could mail it to you. Just a thought
Or you can ask the resident Misplaced Canuck to help you out.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,005
Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I'll ship economy airmail for something that cheap. I don't blame folks for making it difficult because it sucks waiting in line at the post office for a $2 profit.

__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Bobby_M is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,752
Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'll ship economy airmail for something that cheap. I don't blame folks for making it difficult because it sucks waiting in line at the post office for a $2 profit.
Whatever you do, don't ship UPS to Canada. Their brokerage fees are atrocious. Better to send by USPS.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
BargainFittings's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Allen TX
Posts: 1,898
Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordan View Post
Hey everyone,

All I want to do is install an element in my brew kettle, which I thought would be simple; however, I've called every manufacturer and distributor I can think of in Canada looking for a 1" Stainless Steel lock nut (Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Home Hardware, Brafasco, Acklands Grainger, Noble, etc) and nobody's got them. They've all told me the only place I'll be able to get one is McMaster Carr, and they won't ship one to Canada unless I'm on a business account with a certain dollar value. I've tried contacting Bargain Fittings and ordering their $9 locknut/o-ring combo, but they won't ship it to Canada for less than $25 for some very murky "customs" reason.

Short of driving 300 kilometres across the border, does anyone have any ideas where I might find one?
Nothing murky about our reasons. Our site clearly states our policies on the international shipments.
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...ormation_id=10

There is no tracking on first class or small flat rate boxes or envelopes.

It is quite frustrating to ship an item and then explain to the customer why there is no tracking on the package.
__________________

Wayne


Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

BargainFittings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,440
Liked 432 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

I don't understand why it's so difficult doing anything between the US and Canada. The border is pretty much open.

I've had similar problems buying on E-Bay. The shipping is so crazy I won't even bid, but I've ordered stuff from China and had it shipped for $10-$15. I live in Buffalo and when I cross the border my cell phone charges are like $2.00 per minute, even though I can pretty much see my house from Fort Erie. I have friends who can send packages and make phone calls to India cheaper than they can to Canada.

Wasn't NAFTA supposed to take care of this stuff?

__________________
b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
aquenne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Paris, Ontario
Posts: 226
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I found a fantastic place in texas that sent me up 2 1" NPT locknuts.

Dont worry about the NPT NPS non-sense, for a locknut there is no difference as there are only 2 or 3 threads that engage. Not nearly enough for the "taper".

I will post the details tomrrow. They were around 20 canadian shipped for 2. There were no custom charges, but as us Canadians know, they are spotty, so you may get hit, you may not.

I did find a local stainless place that could get me some.. for hah $45 a peice.

__________________
aquenne is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
aquenne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Paris, Ontario
Posts: 226
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

couldnt wait.. took out the work laptop for the details.

it was a great place to deal with. amazing customer service. he quoted me like 10bucks for shipping but then ended up refunding me a few bucks because the actual shipping price was less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCKNUT-1-NP...ht_1636wt_1165

looks thru some of the other stainless stuff he has, you can combine shipping.

__________________
aquenne is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
janivar123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: porsgrunn norway, lol
Posts: 554
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Dont seem too bad to me
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mainlandvf/m....c0.m270.l1313

Ah same as above...

__________________

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

janivar123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Steampunk DIY Projects 16 01-06-2012 09:55 AM
Are these lock nuts the same? Squeeky DIY Projects 3 03-24-2011 03:35 PM
Stainless Steel thenatibrewer DIY Projects 12 12-18-2010 05:06 AM
Where to get Stainless Steel Tubing, 1/2" alowell DIY Projects 20 10-15-2010 06:50 AM
looking for some 1/4" stainless steel tubing for chiller thewurzel DIY Projects 13 08-10-2009 01:26 AM