Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 1 BBL Brewery Build ( Brutus Inspired)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Jaybrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Going Pro....1 BBL Brewery Build....Soos Creek Brewing

There have been a lot of build threads made. I have studied many of them and learned a lot. They all had something of value to me and I appreciate the time the builders spent documenting their builds.....very valuable!! I hope I can pass it on with this build.....and maybe show off a nice brew stand too!!!

I partnered up with a good friend and am now part of Soos Creek Brewing Co.......a Nano brewery located near Seattle, WA. Currently we brew on a 1/2 bbl 3 tier system. We are increasing our capacity to 1bbl to increase production...and to create our future "pilot system"

We chose to go with kettles from Stout Tanks in Portland......much shipping $$ saved...and they are beautiful!! We pick them up Saturday.

The system: Nothing too original here...it will be modeled loosely after Lonnie's Brutus. It is a single tier stand made from .095", 1-1/2" mild steel square tubing.

Temps will be controlled by Love Switches via Honeywell Spark Ignition Modules to fire the solenoid valves. Gas will flow through both a High Pressure manifold to the burners, and a Low pressure manifold to the pilot lights. It will be fueled by high pressure propane. Fluids will be controlled by 2 March pumps....1-809 and 1-815. Returns will go through the lids.

I am now in the process of welding the stand, so I will try not to get lazy and make sure to post my progress. I will also post a parts list when everything has been purchased. Cheers!!

A special thanks to KLADUE for the help he gave me in designing and understanding the gas system. Thanks man!!!

stand-raw.jpg   stand1.jpg   stand-2.jpg   brewsystem-controlsl.jpg  

Last edited by Jaybrinks; 04-23-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Just thought the title needed a change
byrone Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Looking forward to seeing your build grow....especially love the schematic diagrams you included.

FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Looking forward as well, what burner are you planning on for the system?

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
Looking forward to seeing your build grow....especially love the schematic diagrams you included.
That diagram was a huge help for me in understanding how to utilize high pressure propane, and have a safe operating system. Thanks to HBT member Kladue for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWhite5522 View Post
Looking forward as well, what burner are you planning on for the system?
We will be using the 11" hurricane / banjo style burners....running high pressure propane.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Here is a sample panel diagram with one larger transformer and Love TS2 controllers. https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...79690350514498. It was designed for another application with pumps and valves, just have not had enough time to finish the one with gas plumbing as work load has been a bit extreme lately doing burner control repair and tuning for Bayer Crop Science, and keeping 14 people busy on an Intel campus.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
Here is a sample panel diagram with one larger transformer and Love TS2 controllers. https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...79690350514498. It was designed for another application with pumps and valves, just have not had enough time to finish the one with gas plumbing as work load has been a bit extreme lately doing burner control repair and tuning for Bayer Crop Science, and keeping 14 people busy on an Intel campus.
Thanks Kevin....This is great!! Thank you!! I appreciate everything you have helped with.

Our kettles arrived today.....wow are they shiny!! Of course I had to assemble everything and get them on the brew stand for a photo op. I threw my keggle near the boil kettle for a size reference.
kettles1.jpg   kettles2.jpg   kettles3.jpg  

1 BBL Brewery Build

My Vending Machine Fermentation Chamber

Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

You need something to raise the kettles off the frame so the fire can escape, I used 1" X 1/4" flat bar on edge to make a star shape support for the kettle bottom. This was placed on the supports to provide venting during operation, for kegs, a cutout in the skirt performs the same function. A second suggestion would be to block the opening under the valve and sight glass to save them from the flames. Here is a poor picture of what it looked like https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...08918816381522

Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
You need something to raise the kettles off the frame so the fire can escape, I used 1" X 1/4" flat bar on edge to make a star shape support for the kettle bottom. This was placed on the supports to provide venting during operation, for kegs, a cutout in the skirt performs the same function. A second suggestion would be to block the opening under the valve and sight glass to save them from the flames. Here is a poor picture of what it looked like https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...08918816381522
Cool thanks!! I wasn't sure if I needed to raise the kettles up or not, but was prepared to test it after I got the burners mounted....Now I will just plan for it. I am liking that star pattern...seems very efficient in letting the flames escape 360 degrees.....I may just copy that....and I will definitely figure out a way to protect all the fittings.

Off to the drawing board!!

1 BBL Brewery Build

Old 02-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 838 Posts

Man, those kettles are serious eye candy!

If I may I ask a question about the Honeywell 8610 modules, why do they provide a spark ignition to light a pilot flame to then light the main burner - and not just spark-ignite the main burner and leave out the whole pilot flame thing?

Just curious. It seems like a "belt and suspenders" approach, but then I have zero background in gas burner technologies...

Cheers!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Man, those kettles are serious eye candy!

If I may I ask a question about the Honeywell 8610 modules, why do they provide a spark ignition to light a pilot flame to then light the main burner - and not just spark-ignite the main burner and leave out the whole pilot flame thing?

Just curious. It seems like a "belt and suspenders" approach, but then I have zero background in gas burner technologies...

Cheers!
It's a valid question.....Hopefully Kladue will chime in on this....I remember reading an explanation...but I would not be able to do it justice with my feeble explanation...?

1 BBL Brewery Build

Quick Reply