Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > 1/2" wort chiller from straight copper pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
xxllmm4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1/2" wort chiller from straight copper pipe?

Hey everyone,

Well I think its about time I made a wort chiller. I have been brewing off and on for about 20 years now. Anyway I was thinking of making a wort chiller from 1/2 straight pipe (not the soft copper) and using elbows, elbows are only $6.39 for a 10 pack at lowes and I have 4 new sticks of 1/2" in my garage.

I'm sure someone along the way has done this but I cant seem to find any pictures. If anyone has some ideas or pictures pleas post them.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Sure it can be done but you'll use a lot of elbows. I'm pretty good at sweating joints but I wouldn't want to prep 30 joints. Figure 12 pieces cut to 10" per stick for 3 "coils" and if you want to use all four stick, that's 48 elbows and 96 joints. No thanks. I've be all over a 1/2 x 50' coil.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want something that no one else has then do it. It does seem like a lot of extra work but, to each their own.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

More work than it's worth. And probably more expensive once you factor in the cost of solder, flux, brushes, propane, etc.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

do it i really want to see it,all kidding aside its not hell to sweat that many joints,and youre right,would be way stronger than any soft copper chiller

Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I think user biermuncher built one exactly as described. Rigid copper tubing is thicker so the heat transfer won't be as good as the thinner soft tubing. The labor involved alone makes it not worth it. If you've got an inner/outer tubing wirebrush setup for a cordless drill it would be a little better but you're still making 48 cuts.

bigbopper, no one mentioned strength of the chiller. I don't think anyone is having trouble with their fragile chillers.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think the OP didnt ask if he "should" build this, hes asking if anyone has pics of a past build..
that being said, strait copper 1/2" tube is Thinner than annealed copper 1/2" .028" and .032 respectively

why bash this guy for making it...nothing wrong with this at all and it will be a sturdy chiller
build it!

I love Alcohol, its in my Blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
go rinse your mind out with soap for even THINKING about tossing a batch of beer.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iparks81 View Post
I think the OP didnt ask if he "should" build this, hes asking if anyone has pics of a past build..
that being said, strait copper 1/2" tube is Thinner than annealed copper 1/2" .028" and .032 respectively

why bash this guy for making it...nothing wrong with this at all and it will be a sturdy chiller
build it!
It depends on whether the stick is Type L or M.

M: .028" wall
L: .040" wall
AC annealed: .035" wall

I don't think anyone is bashing the guy. I'm simply providing my opinion of the practicality of moving forward with the original plans and I think that's a completely appropriate response.

A common argument I see around here is nit picking of what an OP is specifically asking as if mildly tangent discussions are taboo. It is safe to assume that a question like "has anyone ever xxx?" is equally regarding the practicality of doing something as it is whether someone has ever done it. If this forum was limited to carefully answering literal questions with no subtext allowed, it would be lame.

New Stuff?
wolfareno Likes This 
Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
mschaefer56
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It depends on whether the stick is Type L or M.

M: .028" wall
L: .040" wall
AC annealed: .035" wall

I don't think anyone is bashing the guy. I'm simply providing my opinion of the practicality of moving forward with the original plans and I think that's a completely appropriate response.

A common argument I see around here is nit picking of what an OP is specifically asking as if mildly tangent discussions are taboo. It is safe to assume that a question like "has anyone ever xxx?" is equally regarding the practicality of doing something as it is whether someone has ever done it. If this forum was limited to carefully answering literal questions with no subtext allowed, it would be lame.
Word

Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
paparker21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

something to consider: the head loss in a hydraulic circuit is made of 2 components: static and dynamic losses. Static loses are things like pipe resistance due to wall roughness while dynamic losses are primarily due to joints and the like. If you use a lot of elbows, you're going to generate a significant head loss. If you already suffer low water pressure, this could be an issue. As mentioned, you'll have a lot less work if you use the soft tubing and have less risk of leak.

All that said: you absolutely could still make a functional chiller of straight tubing and elbows.

Quick Reply