New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > yuengling oktoberfes tasting notes question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
butterpants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default yuengling oktoberfes tasting notes question

I'm not looking to get all BJCP snobberific but in an attempt to study for my tasting exam, anytime I travel now I'll always hit a local store and build a 6 pack of random brews. While back east this week I snagged a sixer of random Oktoberfests which is a style I enjoy alot.

I studied the guidelines and did some tasting to try and calibrate my brain. I came across something and wondered if I'm miscatogorizing the odor....

In Yuengling Oktoberfest after letting the glass sit for 30 seconds or so then cramming my schnoz in the glass for a whiff, I'm getting notes of caramel.... I'd bet good money on it. Once you inhale deeply and smell, the caramel note seems to be gone for a second sniff.... unless you let the glass stit still a while.

According to the BJCP guidelines, a caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Kind of considered Yuengling as a traditional brewery and figured they would brew to style.

Anyone else have some handy? Is my nose fooling me? FYI the beer is decent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Hammy71

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 534

I've never really considered Yuengling's Oktoberfest a true Marzen. To me, it taste like their lager with a touch of crystal malt. I guess it would be better considered their fall seasonal. Hopefully you got a Victory Festbier while you were out east. That beer is more in line with a true 'Oktoberfest' in my opinion.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
butterpants

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I've never really considered Yuengling's Oktoberfest a true Marzen. To me, it taste like their lager with a touch of crystal malt. I guess it would be better considered their fall seasonal. Hopefully you got a Victory Festbier while you were out east. That beer is more in line with a true 'Oktoberfest' in my opinion.
oh ****, no i passed on the victory (even though i love golden monkey) might have to go back out.

the crystal malt would explain it tho!

Quick Reply