Yuengling copyrights "Lager"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
WTF is that all about. I just heard a commercial on the radio where this girl orders, "a lager" from the bar and then the announcer says, "thats right Yeungling is now the only beer allowed to use the term lager because its the only one in the world" something like that. What a joke! I know alot of people like Yeungling, i personally could take it or leave it, but thats kind of arrogant to copyright "lager".

I don't really see how they can get away with that. Then again, I never understood how A-B got away with ripping off the name Budweiser. I guess I'm just naieve.

SwAMi75 said:
I don't really see how they can get away with that. Then again, I never understood how A-B got away with ripping off the name Budweiser. I guess I'm just naieve.

bud went one step beyond by stealing budvars motto too, thiers is "beer for kings", while buds is "king of beers"...

the only thing comparable is when Anchor copywrote "steam beer" but before them nobody had used that term for like 100 years. also when the Frogs kept the term 'Champagne' exclusive to thier little town that is reasonable, same with Bourbon out of Kentucky, but "lager"? thats like coke copywriting "soda"...

Since this made me curious, I went out and Googled Yuengling and could not find one mention of them Trademarking the word Lager. Their website makes no mention of it, and I couldn't find any links to the commercial. The closest I could get was them talking about ordering in the Philly area where lager is synonomous with Yuengling. Looks to be just advertising hyperbola(sic). But as HB99 mentioned, don't put anything past lawyers:mug:

I'm in the Philly area & I don't think they actually copywrited the word. If it's the same commercial I've heard, they're saying all you need to do is order a Lager & you'll get a Yuengling.

SwAMi75 said:
Technically, they didn't steal it (more like copywrited it as a tradename and its usage) because the recipe came from the town of Budweis (German) so can be called a budweiser. The Czech name for the town is Ceske Budejovice, thus Budvar, or in America "Bud". I've spent many a night drinking the real stuff in Ceske Budejovice at $0.53 for a half liter mug.

We (USA) pronounce it BUD as in MUD, but in German it's BOOD-VICE (and we all know "weis" is "white"), in Czech BOOD-VAR (as in CAR).

It all comes down to A-Bs lawyers. There are hundreds of "Lowenbrau's" (Lion's Brew) in Germany, but we know the import from Munich best. Do you think they ever tried the same thing A-B did? Not hardly because they are made in different towns.

A "Budweiser" is "something" from Budweis...and yes, people (males) from Frankfurt are called Frankfurters, same for Hamburg and every city in Germany. "Er" is the masculine siffix. Females have the diminuative suffix of "erines", as in "Frankfurterines".:D

Bjorn Borg said:
WTF is that all about. I just heard a commercial on the radio where this girl orders, "a lager" from the bar and then the announcer says, "thats right Yeungling is now the only beer allowed to use the term lager because its the only one in the world" something like that. What a joke!

Umm, that's exactly what it is - A JOKE as part of a commercial. You got suckered....

Very clever! Look at it this way your much better off asking for a lager and getting a Yeungling, instead of a Bud. The beer revolution continues.
I was visiting family this weekend in PA and totally forgot to go an get me a case of that Porter. Rats!

i'm a few years late here, but yea - in Western PA go to most any bar and ask for a 'lager' and you will receive a delicious Yeungling.

i'm a few years late here, but yea - in Western PA go to most any bar and ask for a 'lager' and you will receive a delicious Yeungling.

If I went to a bar and ordered a "lager" and was served (without question) a "delicious" Yeungling, I would not patronize that bar again. But, that's just me.

Copyright. It's copyright.

Yuengling didn't copyright or trademark the word. It's just an ad. However, having spent A LOT of time in the area, I can attest that in southcentral/southeast PA, if you simply order a "lager," you get a Yuengling.

Odd to see this thread resurrected from the dead...Yes, you can order a "lager" basically anywhere in PA and get a Yuengling. So what?

Back