Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Your personal beer "progression?"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
elkdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Drank swill in college, but Moosehead when I could get it.
Then tried a Saranac Black and Tan, which caused me to then try every single dark beer I could get my hands on.
Red Hook got me into bitters, which are still my favorite style.
Moved to CA and became a hophead.
Started brewing and the hop shortage hit, so I'm rediscovering how much I love English and Scottish beers.
Have always liked Belgians, but can't think of one that I want 5 gallons of.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Before I got seriously hooked on beer and then edumacatered to it my guilty pleasure was a case of Chimay Grande Reserve a year. Occasionally, but rarely, I would sip and choke down a budweiser.

So, I dunno if you'd call this a "progression" or a regression but, through my Homebrew endeavors I actually have a higher appreciation for budweiser now than I did before brewing. Whats more, I actually find it more enjoyable than I ever did before.

Today, my favorite packaged brew is Tillburg Dutch Brown after it's been aged for at least 6 months. Fresh, it has a floral note in the front end that just doesn't seem to co-mingle well with the malt, IMO.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I drank a lot of PBR when I was underage. I always appreciated good beer and drank a decent amount of imports with my brothers and dad (Heineken, Stella, P. Urquell, Paulaner, etc. the usuals). Then I had a Staghorn Oktoberfest from New Glarus..... it opened my eyes. My roommates and I promptly entered microbrew and premium beer mania. Over the next two years we experienced about 2,500 different beers and entrenched ourselves in the local beer market. I am still continuing my quest but my pace has slowed very considerably because I moved out of the city and have a house to pay for. Also, my wife isn't as into it so it isn't as much fun to spend a night alone sampling beers.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I started drinking in college. I mostly drank Bud Light but whenever it was available and I could afford it, I'd drink Red Dog or SNPA or whatever microbrew was available. After college, there was a long stint where I was drinking grey goose martinis but if all I could get was beer, I'd get Coors Light. Then I got into Fat Tire. And then Hoegaarden. Now, I'm all about trying anything new.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wasn't into beer until I went to Amsterdam for spring break at the age of 16 with some friends. There, I discovered Duvel. That was my gateway drug (as opposed to other substances on that trip). Since Duvel, I have tried everything, but I still always come back to the good ol' Belgian ales.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

13-15 years old: Cider (strongbow) Mostly with meals.
15-17 : Barley wine or lager (Both cheap)
17-19 : Kegged Bitters,(cheap) Guiness, occasional lager
19-51 : Primarily cask IPAs and bitters. Occasional lager

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Growing up in Texas I started with Old Wilwaukee then moved into Lone Star and Lone Star Light, moved to California and jumped head first into Henry Weinhards, then Sierra Nevada, then Racer 5, but now its all about the Pliny and Blind Pig. I get it fresh on tap a block from my house! Gotta love the River!

Eastside

Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #18
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started out on Molson Canadian, then went through a Canterbury phase, then Sleeman's Honey Brown, then into the microbrews. I've always liked Guiness, but can only now appreciate it for what it is. I find that I concentrate on a particular beer style every summer:

Summer 04 - Sleeman's Honey Brown
Summer 05 - Phillips Phoenix Lager
Summer 06 - Phillips IPA
Summer 07 - Phillips Blue Truck
Summer 08 - Any hefeweizen/wheat beer I can get my hands on

Next Up: Something...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #19
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Didn't drink any beer until about 25 (Couldn't stand the stuff everyone called beer).
Finally found stouts when I moved to the Boston area. Guinness, Murphy's, micros, it seems every bar or restaurant in the Boston area has Guinness while in Indiana it was an unknown beer.
More recently discovered IPAs, Belgians and then sour beers.

Still can't stand any light lager nor most blond ales. It seems a beer has to be atleast amber before i care for it. However I do like most of the darker beers, including IPAs, porters, stouts, Belgian Dubbles or other dark beers. Even many dark lagers. I have found that even pale sour beers are very good. Most of the good ones I have tried have been very good. The sweetened, fruited "sour" beers like Lindenmann's are horrible.

Craig

Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #20
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My progression was almost exactly as the original poster, even down to the Honey Brown and Killians.

The only change is that once my "favorites" hit on Bass and Guinness, it pretty much locked in there. The realm of "what I can drink and enjoy" extended beyond that to the point that I can pretty much enjoy most hoppy beers on the market but my favorite is still a pretty neutral special bitter.

I find it harder to down stuff from the malty side though.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Quick Reply