Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Your personal beer "progression?"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
Rick500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Your personal beer "progression?"

Just curious how everyone's tastes in beer have shifted over time.

I didn't drink beer at all until I was 25 or so. Then it went like this:

Stumbled upon J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown. Liked it.

Moved to Killian's.

Then Bass.

Then Guinness.

Then got adventurous and started making it a point to try anything I hadn't before. Currently I think Bell's Two-Hearted Ale is my favorite.

I can't drink Honey Brown or Killian's anymore... Bass occasionally if there's nothing better available. Still like Guinness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Started out drinking MGD. Dabbled very lightly with microbrews in the early to mid-1990's, but still thought MGD was a good brew. Occasionally bought Henry Winehards. Started brewing and decided to try every beer I could get my hands on. Still have many to go. I've tried soured beers and liked them in modest amounts.

Anymore I can't really get into most microbrews that are a widely available style. Definately better than BMC, but if I can brew a good pale ale, I have no desire to try every pale ale ever made.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went to france when I was 16 and tried a bunch of beers and hated them all. I particularly remember hating guinness very very much.

I went to London when I was 21 and had guinness again. I LOVED it. Then I started trying the bitters and everything else they had in the pub. Loved them.

Then I got back and I heard some people raving about this hoegaarden beer. Tried it, and I liked it but I found its taste to be a little too strong for me to drink a few in a row.

Then I went through a phase where I was thirsty to try every new beer I could get my hands on. I particularly loved variety packs since I lived in PA and 6-pack shops are rare. Beer has to be bought by the case, and I didn't really want a case of RIS but I wanted to try one, so I bought any variety case I could find. Saranac was a favorite of mine, and great lakes also. I started pairing with food a lot.

Then I started developing a taste for high gravity stuff, particularly tripel and barleywines.

I still like the strong stuff but I don't feel as compelled to brew it. I enjoy the hobby of brewing every bit as much as I enjoy drinking the beer that I brew, so I figured why not spend less money and make session beers? I still get the same amount of enjoyment from brewing each batch, and mistakes don't seem as expensive. I also have to move often so I prefer beers that don't require too much age. I also now feel that good beer is best on its own and I usually drink what I consider "table beer" with food. Usually sam adams or landshark. Both cheap and pry-off bottles.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
M@!
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Started drinking Meister Brau, Mickey's, Steel Reserve and Old E at 13. I remember drinking some Oktoberfest around 14. Since then for the past 16 years I have drunken a lot of different beer. I love all beer and will still pick up a $2 40 of Steel Reserve High Gravity when all I have is $2 in my wallet. I love home brew now and have no problem droppin $600 to build a keezer.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Coors....Coors Light....Keystone Light.....LOTS AND LOTS OF KEYSTONE LIGHT!

Back To Coors Yellow Label, Guinness, Home Brew...then onto all the types of pro and micro brew I can try.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Anyone have Olde English in their past? Oh when I was teenaged and stoopid...

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have gone through the fairly standard homebrewer's progression:
BMC
Lagers/pilsners (exports)
Blonde and pale ales
English ales, particularly browns, porters, stouts
Hop-head phase
Belgians
BIG Belgians
Sours/farmhouse ales

Fruit beers never made it on my list -- Thanks God! (jk)

Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
stuartm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Started out drinking MGD. Dabbled very lightly with microbrews in the early to mid-1990's, but still thought MGD was a good brew. Occasionally bought Henry Winehards. Started brewing and decided to try every beer I could get my hands on. Still have many to go. I've tried soured beers and liked them in modest amounts.

Anymore I can't really get into most microbrews that are a widely available style. Definately better than BMC, but if I can brew a good pale ale, I have no desire to try every pale ale ever made.
MGD was my gateway beer too. Never really cared for beer until I had a cold MGD at a bar with a friend - then I was off to the races.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Drank Bud in college, wasn't much else available. Didn't drink it much for about 25 years, except of Bass, Guinness and Nukie at RenFaires. Switched to craft beers in the early '90s.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm proud to say that I've recently graduated from Bud Light to Bud Select!

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Quick Reply