Yes. I am a failure at cellaring beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I just can't seem to do it. I buy some nice bottles of barley wine, belgian ales, imperial stout...

At best they last a couple of months. Then they are gone. I just cannot keep my grubby paws off. Their call is to loud and demanding. DRINK ME!!! As a matter of fact the siren song is calling me right now...

Anybody else try but fail a cellaring?

It's just like aging bottles of home brew.
Excessive duplication and gratuitous over purchasing is the key!
If you buy something, get 2, then get another when you go back. This is a rule weather it's a 6 pack of Stone Pale, a single bottle of Belgian Strong Ale, or a case of Christmas Seasonal. The trick is to keep that one at the back of the shelf behind a few others...that way, when you JUST GOTTA GOTTA HAVE IT, you're ready as can be.

Yeah, trouble is I can never bring myself to buy 2 of anything because that means there are less funds to buy a variety. I mean, I know it is a good idea to buy 2, drink one right away and then sit on the other just for purpose of knowing where it starts. I just cannot seem to do that though.

The other part of the issue is that if I am getting good cellar worthy beers it usually means I have travelled at least a couple of hours. So going back to pick up more won't happen very soon.

Guess it just weren't meant to be.

Now where is that Back Burner barley wine, or maybe that liter of RIS...

:drunk:

I have mediocre success with cellaring my own beers. Commercial stuff, I have gotten good at cellaring. Next time you are down my way drop off your stash in my basement and I'd be happy to hold onto them for you.
Hippie can vouch for my success rate with other people's beers.

Send them to me! I'll clearly label with time and date, and YOUR name, and I'll send them back to you in a year or 3! Do expect me to photograph them repeatedly though.

I'm all for the buying two and cellaring one technique. I usually buy 3 or so, but I'm pretty aware of what I like these days, what I know is available, and how things will end up in the years to come. There's no need to cellar most beer, but the good ones can really benefit from it.

I barely have the space to long term store any of my own beers....so I try not to think about it...Besides if I did I KNOW those bottles would harrass me to drink them....They'd call to me...

Like sirens in greek mythology, luring me...

I barely have the space to long term store any of my own beers....so I try not to think about it...Besides if I did I KNOW those bottles would harrass me to drink them....They'd call to me...

Like sirens in greek mythology, luring me...

When you have enough beer, you get to the point where you almost forget about those cases buried down there underneath all your stuff.

When you have enough beer, you get to the point where you almost forget about those cases buried down there underneath all your stuff.

'tis true. I usually have so much beer sitting around that I forget about some of it altogether. It makes for a nice surprise when I reorganize the brew room every few months though. :mug:

that's how I do it. If you have 60+ bottles in your closet, you tend to ignore the stuff in the back.

that's how I do it. If you have 60+ bottles in your closet, you tend to ignore the stuff in the back.

60+ commercial beers?!?

Wow.

I have had 8 out of 11 kegs full of homebrew but, 60+ commercial beers no way. 5 at a time maybe.

60+ commercial beers?!?

Wow.

I have had 8 out of 11 kegs full of homebrew but, 60+ commercial beers no way. 5 at a time maybe.

I'm cutting back. :)

I can count in my head 25 bottles that won't be opened for at least another year. I have 7 xmas beers from last year that I think would be great this year. The rest is all good for long term aging. It is all a matter of when I feel like drinking it.

I have mediocre success with cellaring my own beers. Commercial stuff, I have gotten good at cellaring. Next time you are down my way drop off your stash in my basement and I'd be happy to hold onto them for you.
Hippie can vouch for my success rate with other people's beers.

See, now you are in Bratt. So you have easy access to good beer. Not to mention being just up the road from Ryan and Casey's. No problem collecting there.

Maybe I should have you be my personal shopper and then I will only be able to pick it up when I get through there and pay for it. :D

I have 70+ commercial beers now. I almost have the reverse of what you have. I dont want to drink any of the beers that I have stored away. I want to age them as long as I can. I drank a Maudite thats been in the "cellar" for a year for thanksgiving dinner. I felt kinda bad as I drank it. It was cool though when I found a World Wide Stout that I didnt know I had. Ill save that one though.

I assume you have at least tried all these beers first to know what you are saving?

:drunk:

In that case I'll pick up two Magnums of the double bastard. One for me, and one for you.:fro:

I just had the Double Bastard. I was a bit disappointed. Very solventy fusel alcohol. Guess that one needs some age.

Back