Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Would YOU buy, drink a "craft style" beer from BMC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

and pretty much all the Blue Moon beers owned by coors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #32
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If it's an outstanding beer, I'd buy it. But if I have to choose between a local or small business product and one from a megacorporation, and the quality is comparable, I'll always go with the small guy.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #33
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts

I though Bud American Ale tasted a bit dull and boreing. Not terrible mind you.. just a little lacking on anything resembling complexity. I wonder how it would taste to me if I tried it and didn't know it was a BMC product? Oh well.. I guess we'll never know... I was surprised by the Schlitz reissue. had a can (in a glass) at a bar last weekend and it was actually ok.. not outstanding but definitely drinkable. Way better than Bud.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #34
SirBC

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If I could get a 2 hearted-like beer for a couple of bucks less I wouldn't care who made it. Well, I guess if it was the Taliban making it I probably wouldn't buy it. Probably.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #35
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
If I could get a 2 hearted-like beer for a couple of bucks less I wouldn't care who made it. Well, I guess if it was the Taliban making it I probably wouldn't buy it. Probably.

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #36
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I didn't know about this one, is it still available in Michigan?
I don't know. I bought it this year I think, at the local grocery store. It's not something that I'd buy regularly, I just saw the bottle and picked up a 6-pack out of curiosity.

It's still a "light beer", but better than most of the macro swill that the populace drinks. I'll check the website.

Looks like they are still making it.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #37
cfrazier77

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I don't get it. What is wrong with drinking what you like? And since when has making money been a bad thing. There is a local brewery by me that is selling, Schlafly, so the guy who owns it wants to trade up his bicycle for a BMW, or 5 of them, so what? Isn't that the American Dream? One of the beers that I discovered recently and really like, Hoegaarden, is AB InBev. Does that make it taste any less good?

I love craft brew, but I love the big guys too. I love beer. I like Bud and regular Coors. I like PBR and I love Stag, its a Illinois thing. What is wrong with drinking what you like?

If there was two different beers which I equally liked, one was a micro brew and one was a big boy, and they were the same price, I would probably drink the microbrew 9 times out of 10. But, I don't want to be a beer snob.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #38
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
I don't get it. What is wrong with drinking what you like? And since when has making money been a bad thing. There is a local brewery by me that is selling, Schlafly, so the guy who owns it wants to trade up his bicycle for a BMW, or 5 of them, so what? Isn't that the American Dream? One of the beers that I discovered recently and really like, Hoegaarden, is AB InBev. Does that make it taste any less good?

I love craft brew, but I love the big guys too. I love beer. I like Bud and regular Coors. I like PBR and I love Stag, its a Illinois thing. What is wrong with drinking what you like?

If there was two different beers which I equally liked, one was a micro brew and one was a big boy, and they were the same price, I would probably drink the microbrew 9 times out of 10. But, I don't want to be a beer snob.
+1,000

I posted this the other day in another one of these big beer is evil threads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So I'm trying to figure out the rules for being an EAC (look it up) Beersnob of the "Beer Wars" Variety. As opposed to just a normal beersnob, like I consider myself, who enjoys great beer, but doesn't give a care what other folks choose to drink, nor has fault with making money or running a business (which is really ironic since I'm a "bleeding heart" liberal and therefore I'm supposed to not eat meat, wear leather, believe in capitalism or shave my legs.)

We have to hate BMC because they are the big evil corporate empire, and because their beer is the most popular on the planet and therefore it is crap.

But we ALSO have to hate the following micro/craft brewers mostly because they are too popular and/or they're not us and we're jealous. Maybe it's barrel size? If you are too big, meaning big sales then you suck?

We have to hate New Belgium Brewing Company, because frat boys like Fat Tire and therefore it sucks.

We Have to hate Dogfish Head and Sam Caligione because he had a tv show on discovery channel, and therefore his beer sucks.

We have to hate Jim Koch and Sam Adams because he runs commercials and sells a lot of beer, Sometimes he needs to have third party brewers contract brew it to meet demand, and therefore it sucks, DESPITE the fact that He supports homebrewing on so many levels including and not limited to making hops available to homebrewers during the hops shortage AND hosting the Longshot competition which gives a chance for homebrewers to have their beer brewed professionally, and showcased to a huge audience, but of course those folks who enter and win are actually not real homebrewers but poseur sellouts who's beer sucks (because it's not any of us who won.)

We have to hate Bell's brewery because he decided to protect his trade mark and therefore he must care about making money so his beer sucks (and he probably sleeps with sheep or something.)

Have I missed any? Do we hate Stone and Rogue because they paint their bottles and make it hard to re-use them and therefore their beers suck? Or are they for some reason "ok?"

Boy it's so hard to be a beer lover these days, with so many rules to follow. It used to be we just had to like good beer, whatever OUR definition of it was....../Sarcasm

Oh yeah and now we're supposed to hate Goose Island, because they completed a deal that they've been involved with for 5 years and partnered even more fully with AHB. So that means they're sellout bastards and even though we LOVED Bourbon County Stout...it sucks...even though it's been made under that partnership for years. It now is crap.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

cfrazier77 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #39
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We have to hate PBR because hipsters drink it.

We have to hate BMC, because it is monopolizing the industry

We have to hate anything in a Green or Clear bottle, because it is skunked.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 AM   #40
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6331 Times on 5487 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMitch View Post
We have to hate BMC, because it is monopolizing the industry
You might want to review the definition of monopoly....when clearly referring to more than one company...

Now, if InBev acquires Miller/Coors, you may be on to something...

Quick Reply