The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Worst Beer Ever! --- Left Hand Brewing Company

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #31
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

@Bird: I don't exactly - I have US goldings on hand and they taste/smell very similar to EKGs in my opinions. But I also can't tell EKG and Fuggles apart. To me, they just taste "british".

I can vouch that the Sawtooth is a really pretty tasty ESB. I prefer it over the Sierra Nevada ESB, which I believe uses a similar combination of Magnum, Goldings and Cascade.

The Milk Stout and the Juju Ginger are the only two Left Hand brews that I go WAY out of my way to find -- but the rest of them are very nice offerings. The Black Jack Porter is a solid american porter, the Haystack Wheat is crisp and refreshing, and their Deep Cover Brown Ale is really rich and tasty.

It could be distance, Donasay, you're not exactly next door to the brewery. I didn't know they were distributing to the coast at all, so it's possible that you got a terribly mistreated case. Even then, that seems odd.

Hey, worst case scenario, I recommend you send the bottles to me for "proper" disposal.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #32
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I had Black Jack Porter the other night. It was good, but nothing to get too excited about. I thought it was a nice, mild porter that probably caters to the bland American beer palate. The color was fairly light for a porter, but there was some roasty flavor, and it wasn't terribly lacking in body.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #33
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The very night after reading this thread, I was at my local pub. Lo and behold: Left Hand Milk Stout on tap. Of course I had to try it.

Not bad at all. I can see where someone who dislikes sweet beers would be turned off, but I didn't mind it at all. It had a pretty mellow roasted character, with little to no perceptable hop bitterness. The lactose sweetness was very apparent, and seemed to stand apart from the rest of the flavors of the beer. I doubt I would go out of my way to get one of these, but I have no complaints.

Last edited by Nyxator; 04-23-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #34
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm overall really not impressed with Left Hand. I've tried their stuff multiple times and most of it just doesn't work for me at all. The Blackjack Porter is the best thing they make, but almost all the others are no good. The Sawtooth is uninspiring, and a lot of the time it takes on a butterscotch flavor. The Milk Stout is just off target, with an odd combination of hop, roast, and sweetness that doesn't match. The Jackman's Pale Ale is a bad example of the style, and the Polestar Pilsner is as bad as any BMC. The Haystack Wheat is actually pretty good, I think because they use proper German hefe-weizen yeast. But the worst, by far the worst thing they make, is that awful Warrior IPA. It's all grapefruit, with no complexity or variation in flavor. Just grapefruit, then more grapefruit, and a grapefruity finish followed by bitter grapefruit. Gag.

The Independence stuff isn't too great either, but none of it is offensively bad, at least. All the Bootlegger Brown's I've had have been way overcarbonated in the bottles, but they taste okay. The Pale and Amber are decent, but unexciting. Their wheat was also no good, going for that American wheat flavor that does nothing for me.

Of course, this could all just be a matter of taste.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #35
Jeepnbrew
Recipes 

You are nuts if you don't appreciate left hand. If you ever have the chance come out to Longmont and sit down in the tasting room they will treat you right.. Living in a microcosm of breweries this is one of the best around!! All the beers you mentioned you disliked are pretty tasty! Maybe you just like the standard out of the box taste of guiness and sierra nevada??

Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #36
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnbrew View Post
Maybe you just like the standard out of the box taste of guiness and sierra nevada??
You mean "not outside the box."

Had the Left Hand Rye Bock the other night. Not a Roggen, but a decent American Rye. A little of that rye spicy aroma and flavor, but not over the top. More malty and sweet, but not a bad balance. A fair amount of hop bitterness, but not so much aroma or flavor. Clean and refreshing. Could drink a lot of this.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #37
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I keep going back to the Sawtooth Ale when I'm at the store. That's a really, really nice, drink-everyday kind of beer. I should pick some more up on the way home...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #38
bosco_NJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest View Post
But the worst, by far the worst thing they make, is that awful Warrior IPA. It's all grapefruit, with no complexity or variation in flavor. Just grapefruit, then more grapefruit, and a grapefruity finish followed by bitter grapefruit. Gag.
I beg to differ. I'm a huge fan of this beer. But then again I enjoy that grapefruit aroma & flavor in my IPA's.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #39
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest View Post
But the worst, by far the worst thing they make, is that awful Warrior IPA. It's all grapefruit, with no complexity or variation in flavor. Just grapefruit, then more grapefruit, and a grapefruity finish followed by bitter grapefruit. Gag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco_NJ View Post
I beg to differ. I'm a huge fan of this beer. But then again I enjoy that grapefruit aroma & flavor in my IPA's.
Wanted to post in agreement with bosco, but took a look at Torchiest’s recipes. His
Imperious IPA is 94.5 IBU with a boat load of Summit, Amarillo, Centennial and Cascade. I can taste the grapefruit from here. Me thinks someone is trolling.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #40
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Even good beers can have off bottles. I've had a bottle of something (I forget what) that was clearly infected. Tasted like carbonated Sweet Tarts.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Quick Reply