The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Williamsburg Ale Werks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Nate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Williamsburg Ale Werks

Stopped by again today and the place looks great. Picked up a growler, some porter, and a couple pint glasses. The porter is excellent... going down as I write this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Stopped by again today and the place looks great. Picked up a growler, some porter, and a couple pint glasses. The porter is excellent... going down as I write this.
Weird you posted this....I'm headed up there Wednesday.

What other beers do they have available?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They had 3 others on tap but I was in a hurry... the porter just grabbed my eye. I believe two of the others were the pale ale and the IPA but I'm not sure. Give us the report after your visit.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Ahhhhh...got to try all the beers at the homebrew club meeting last Thursday night.

Porter--awesome stuff. Just about as classic of a porter as you can get--very drinkable.
Pale Ale--Awesome. When he told us the hop he bitters with, I was kind of dismayed--but it works well. Great pale ale very similar to SNPA.
IPA--I'm guessing this was really young--because although it was a good beer--I think it was a little bit harsh at first. The aftertaste was much more mellow and very good.
Tavern Ale--also very, very nice. I think it is supposed to be along the lines of a brown ale, but I heard someone say Mike couldn't get the exact ingredients that he wanted, so this version was going to be tweaked next time. Don't know if that is true or not, but at any rate the Tavern Ale was great. To me it was kind of a cross between a brown ale and a porter.
Colonial Wheat--This was only a few days old and still in the fermenter, but he let us sample it anyway. It was awesome if you like American wheats. Spicy from the wheat but not overly phenolic like a classic German hefe. Super beer.

All in all, he's making great beer. What I'm really impressed with is how he gets his bitterness integrated--it is just real smooth and crisp--in every beer. They taste professional, for sure. I'm also impressed that all of the beers I tasted you can definitely taste hops. He's not afraid to use the hops, which is awesome. He also really gave out a lot of info on the recipes--which also surprised me.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
What I'm really impressed with is how he gets his bitterness integrated--it is just real smooth and crisp--in every beer. .
Did he give any clues as how he's doing this? Is he using more late hop additions or FWH or some other secret technique?

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are these brewed in Old Williamsburg? My wife and I stopped in there about 6yrs ago on the way down to Parris Island for our sons graduation from boot camp. Can't remember the one I tried except I still have the empties from the Pale Ale and the Wheat.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Last edited by 2nd Street Brewery; 08-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Did he give any clues as how he's doing this? Is he using more late hop additions or FWH or some other secret technique?
Not really, he didn't give hints on amounts or anything--but I know that he uses hop bags--which surprised me as well. I'm thinking it is probably just fresh ingredients, more than any kind of special technique. I've also heard before that adding gypsum to the brewing liquor will sharpen the hops flavor as well--which I've been meaning to try. That could possibly be it as well?

2nd Street--I'm not sure where those came from.....
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Not really, he didn't give hints on amounts or anything--but I know that he uses hop bags--which surprised me as well. I'm thinking it is probably just fresh ingredients, more than any kind of special technique. I've also heard before that adding gypsum to the brewing liquor will sharpen the hops flavor as well--which I've been meaning to try. That could possibly be it as well?
Well I know gypsum increases the perception of bitternes, but I've never heard anyone say it also changes the flavor charateristics of the hops. You're probably right about the freshness of the ingredients, but I'm thinking that since you were surprised by a hop that you normally don't like and all the beers had a noticable (yet pleasant) hop flavor, something more is at work here.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Well I know gypsum increases the perception of bitternes,
Yes, yes, that's what I meant. I dunno, I'll ask him next time I'm up there.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street Brewery
Are these brewed in Old Williamsburg? My wife and I stopped in there about 6yrs ago on the way down to Parris Island for our sons graduation from boot camp. Can't remember the one I tried except I still have the empties from the Pale Ale and the Wheat.
Those are from one of the local taverns here in town but it appears that they're brewed by Old Dominion brewery... not in Williamsburg.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/raleigh...pale-ale/7184/

Quick Reply