Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Will microbrews kill the King of Beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #11
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Well, regardless of the statistics, both sectors are experiencing growth and that bodes well for both micro and macro.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #12
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's nothing wrong with American lager. Why homebrewers are so against it is still beyond me. It's a beer with minimal taste and is a good lawnmower session beer. It's fine not to like the style. But to continuously hammer on the style because one's a brewer and chooses to make styles with more flavor is just overdone.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There will always be college and high school students who drink the cheapest beer they can find.

Anyone remember 25 cent drafts?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamers View Post
There's nothing wrong with American lager. Why homebrewers are so against it is still beyond me.
You're right. Light American Lager is it's own style and has merit.

But I think, for home/craft brewers, it's much bigger than what the beer is vs. what the companies are as allowed by our society of free enterprise. Home/craft brewers feel that the American public has been lied to by these corporations. If it weren't for intense marketing, the light Am. lager would probably be a side show in the beer industry (based on its merit). BMC has convinced the majority of the Am. public that the light Am. lager is what beer is and what it should be. The corporations did it to make money. It's a cost of having the free country we have. It's similar to how the fast-food/snack/soda industry has been shoving commercials in our face for the past 30+ years and we wonder why we have a problem with obesity... or how oil prices have sky-rocketed and we're wondering why we bought a vehicle that gets 12 mpg. We should really be trying more for a campaign of education vs. just plain bashing BMC. If America stops accepting the light Am. lager as a standard for beer, BMC will make better beer... and what's wrong with that? They only care about the bottom line. They couldn't care less what style America drinks, as long as it's theirs.

Me?... it's not an issue of how I feel about BMC, it's that I don't care for the light Am. lager style. As for free enterprise... I'm all for it. However, I must say that when I was in the UK a few months ago, driving down the motorway, I had a difficult time finding a billboard. The sides of the roads were open to the beautiful green countryside, free of ugly, in-your-face billboards telling you what to buy. That was refreshing after driving down highways in the States being inundated with billboards every mile.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Along the same lines... I got this email yesterday from the Brewer's Association. I was going to copy and paste the whole thing, but it is pretty long, so here is a bit of the whole story.

"A bill sponsored by Anheuser-Busch, Assembly Bill 1245 is being voted on in committee this Tuesday, June 24th. This bill would significantly expand the limits on what a brewer can give away to a retailer. Currently, a brewer can only give away small items of minimal value to a retailer or consumer. The law now in place helps create an equal playing field for both small and large breweries. This law has helped the craft brewing industry flourish in California.

Anheuser-Busch wants to increase the limit 1,600% so they can use give-ways as an inducement to gain placements in stores, bars and restaurants. Craft brewers - because we are small, independent businesses which brew with passion and typically do not have large marketing budgets - cannot afford to compete with the big brewers on this level. Passing this bill will allow large corporate brewers to “buy” retail placements at craft beers expense."

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 06-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
Anyone remember 25 cent drafts?
I remember 10 cent drafts. Just got back from a beer fest where the $1 samples were TWO ounces. FIVE bucks for a 12 ounce glass. Always wanted to visit Europe, but it looks like my wallet beat me to it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #17
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kill the king of beers? Probably not. Eat up their market share so they're a way smaller force than earlier on? I'd bet my money on it.

They already have, the trends suggest they will continue to do so, but there will come a point where most converts are made and the die hards will remain as the primary drinkers of yellow fizz, including poor college students and even folks like us who want something cheap and easy.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamers View Post
There's nothing wrong with American lager. Why homebrewers are so against it is still beyond me. It's a beer with minimal taste and is a good lawnmower session beer. It's fine not to like the style. But to continuously hammer on the style because one's a brewer and chooses to make styles with more flavor is just overdone.

If there's nothing wrong with Bud then why does drinking one of their beers make my head feel like it's going to exploded?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
If there's nothing wrong with Bud then why does drinking one of their beers make my head feel like it's going to exploded?
And my taste buds organize a rebellion against my mouth such that everything tastes like crap for an entire night Seriously, I go beyond not caring for BMC, it is so bad it is actually starting to make me angry when people around me are drinking it. Sorry, that's just how I feel. Hate me for hating BMC if you will.

As for the OP... I definitely notice an increased awareness of good beer in general. The big boys will never go out of business, but the market share is not growing as fast as it would be if not for the micros and imports being so popular. to good beer.

Quick Reply