Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Will America's beer reputation ever improve?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiseem View Post
I kind of see the opposite happening.
InBev and other conglomerates have bought up some of the even oldest breweries in Europe.
Grolsch is a perfect example. A 400 year-old brewer that was purchased in 2008, and has exchanged hands several times and now AmBev. Grolsch has become damn close to the quality of Budweiser today.
I think in Europe we are seeing the opposite transition of what is happening in America. The "old greats" are being "corporatised" and corners are being cut. While in America, craft brews are moving off the shelf.

Yeah and most of the beer that hasn't been ruined by inbev is HIGHLY overrated anyway. With few exceptions most Euro beer is bland and boring compared to American craft beer. I'd take an American craft beer over a Euro beer any day of the week.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Tedson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I suppose i was primarily referring to sitcomes. Peep Show and The Thick Of It are the only really hugh quality ones in the last few years, whereas there's been loads of American sitcomes in that time.

Sorry for dragging the thread off topic

Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Tedson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydrez View Post
Yeah and most of the beer that hasn't been ruined by inbev is HIGHLY overrated anyway. With few exceptions most Euro beer is bland and boring compared to American craft beer. I'd take an American craft beer over a Euro beer any day of the week.
You probably don't get a particularly reflective selection of imports though. I was browsing the beer section in a supermarket last time I was in America and was suprised at the English beers they had. Like Sammy Smith's, which was presented as high quality/expensive beer, whereas here it's the cheap and cheerful option you go for when you want an inexpensive evening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
PeteNMA
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Having come from the UK to the US I don't think there's a lot of point in exporting beer in either continental direction. I've had a couple of various beers from the UK since I've been here and they had all spoiled after shipping. Plus the best beer is invariably served from casks in my opinion and there simply isn't a market to make it worth bringing back real IPA style cask ale for export to the US.

For it to make economic sense you really need to move volume transatlantically, and craft beer doesn't have the shelf life required to make the sea voyage then spend another month or two in distribution channels before being drunk. Hence why you can get pasteurised BMC stuff in Europe but precious little else.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I see no problem with this, we take in and drink more beer than we send out! Although a little selfish!

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007
iamwhatiseem Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The reason our exports are small compared to other countries is because our country is so large. Europe being so small and each country being essentially a "state", yeah I could see how there's a lot of exports going on.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
iamwhatiseem
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

And by the way - do you know who the largest beer exporter is?
Mexico.
No kidding...21% of the market.
Only in America can a bad product triumph almost completely by merely placing that product on television with good looking actors doing fun things. The product itself hardly matters, the advertising is what sells here.
Just over 9 out of 10 beers sold in America comes from only two companies.
Sheesh. How did a nation whose ancestors were such risk takers and fiercely independent stock, become such sheep.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think a lot of the European countries (Germany) think they make the best beer. I say they make good beer but the selection and variety are better in the States. American craft beer is better. Now when you compare macros to macros bittburg is better then Bud and it seems to me bittburg is their staple beer here.

The reason we don't export our good beer is breweries in the states can sell all their beers at home so why export.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
iamwhatiseem
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Reading the responses from folks here I am reminded of the old Life cereal commercials (showing my age here)...those old enough to remember this popular commercial series will relate - "Hey Mikey, give it to Mikey he will eat anything"..."Hey America...sell it to them, America will drink anything"

Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I know everybody has their own opinion but the American made craft beers are superior in almost every way to imported beers. I think imports were thought of as superior when during the 80s and 90s you either bought BMC or imports. Where I usually buy my beer from the basically have 3 aisles, craft, import, and BMC and they have some good imports but I probably buy 80% of mine from the craft aisle with the other 20% split about evenly from the other 2.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Quick Reply