Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Why do we call it "Black" IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 417 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef051 View Post
India Black Ale
Yup. IBA. Easy Peasy.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post

Yup. IBA. Easy Peasy.
I'm most partial to this too. I really don't like CDA as I find it disrespectful to the true originator(s) of the style. The GABF/Brewers Association seems to agree, and have formally designated the style as IBA. I imagine if the BJCP follows suit and adopts guidelines for the style, that they'll either go with IBA, or even possible American Dark Ale - CDA is just too controversial, for the reasons I've mentioned, which are also why I disagree with it as well.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #13
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
The GABF/Brewers Association seems to agree, and have formally designated the style as IBA.
Have they? Good to know. It makes the most sense.

I can understand, to a point, why "Black IPA" was used as they style was experimented with, as it's supposed to be like an IPA in most every was, except in color and a slight amount of roast character, as it communicates an idea well enough. But at some point, I think we have to agree that a name that's oxymoronic by its very nature is moronic to continue using (OK, that's harsh, but I was too tempted by the fun constuction of that quip). Besides, there's a close enough relation between "IPA" and "IBA," in the names themselves, that it communicates the nature of the style well enough, especially now that it's more established.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #14
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg

Have they? Good to know. It makes the most sense.

I can understand, to a point, why "Black IPA" was used as they style was experimented with, as it's supposed to be like an IPA in most every was, except in color and a slight amount of roast character, as it communicates an idea well enough. But at some point, I think we have to agree that a name that's oxymoronic by its very nature is moronic to continue using (OK, that's harsh, but I was too tempted by the fun constuction of that quip). Besides, there's a close enough relation between "IPA" and "IBA," in the names themselves, that it communicates the nature of the style well enough, especially now that it's more established.
Except that there is nothing Indian about this style. American Dark Ale makes more sense.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #15
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Except that there is nothing Indian about this style. American Dark Ale makes more sense.
Neither is there anything Indian about IPAs, but at least it's understood as a style.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Neither is there anything Indian about IPAs, but at least it's understood as a style.
Sure there is...they derive their name from the fact that it was a style of beer exported to the English colonies in India. If these beers had not been so popular there, they never would have been named IPA - they would have stayed pale ales or maybe Burton ales.

My Beer Cellar

Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Sure there is...they derive their name from the fact that it was a style of beer exported to the English colonies in India. If these beers had not been so popular there, they never would have been named IPA - they would have stayed pale ales or maybe Burton ales.
OK then. So IBAs are extremely similar to a style of beer (one could say it's just a tweaked form of the original) that was once exported to India, hence it has a relation to India, nearly as much as the original.

I get the feeling that might not be convincing to you, but I'm throwing it out anyway. I suspect my gut feeling that these are not meaningfully less "Indian" than IPAs has to do with me not really thinking of them as forming a real style in their own right, and rather as a variation on an IPA. Maybe I just need to get over that. Who knows?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Sure there is...
English IPA's yes. American IPA's no! Yet we still call them both IPA's

Why would you except and American interpretations of an IPA that has nothing to do with India, but turn down the idea of an India Black Ale?

edit:
The India reference has more to do with alcohol and hop content, not color or maltyness.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post

Why would you except and American interpretations of an IPA that has nothing to do with India, but turn down the idea of an India Black Ale?

edit:
The India reference has more to do with alcohol and hop content, not color or maltyness.
By that logic, what is wrong with calling a dark/black interpretation of the style a Dark/Black IPA?

My point is that most of the names out there for this style, except American Dark Ale or the like, don't make a tremendous amount of sense. Black IPA or IBA are equally nonsensical in my book, so why not come up with something that makes more sense?

My Beer Cellar

Old 09-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I hear you. I agree many, perhaps most, style names don't make a lot of sense, or aren't terribly descriptive of what you get. I think the attractiveness of something like IBA is that is continues in the tradition of something that is established. No, it's not "Indian," whatever that might mean in the context of an American brewed beer, but the name tells you a bit about what to expect. American Dark Ale doesn't really tell me much, other than it likely uses an American yeast, and perhaps malt and hops also, and that it's dark. Not very descriptive. So how is that different from an American stout, porter, darker barley wine, "Scotch" or any number of other dark ales? What helps someone to figure out what to expect, based off the name?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply