Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Where to find good beer in Detroit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Where to find good beer in Detroit

I need some of you motor city cats to chime in here, I will be in detroit for the red bull air races and I want to pick up some rare stuff to bring back. I am staying at the courtyard downtown on Jefferson and am wondering where in the city has the best selection of beer to buy. We have most of the bells products down here but I will be looking for it wherever I go, I am already gonna make a stop at Slow's BBQ and hit up their tap list and BBQ but I want to bring some stuff like Surly, Three Floyds, Founders, etc back with me.

Detroit residents, where must I go to find the rarest of the rarest beers.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Detroit is still around? Really?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Tell me about it, I am staying down by greek town on the river and supposedly if I go like 2 blocks inland the area can get shady at night.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
rbridges01
Recipes 

Champane's In Warren, Champane's Wine Cellar & International Marketplace

Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
CassCorridor
Recipes 

Hukdizzle, don't believe the bull**** about Detroit. it's the most misunderstood city in the world. If you want to check out an awesome microbrew you need to go to Motor City Brewing Works: Home Motor City Brewing Works, Ph. (313) 832-2700 It might be a bit too far to walk from your hotel but it is a $5 cab ride up woodward (make sure you tell the cabbie to go on the meter or he will definitely screw you because it's a short trip). If you want a good beer selection downtown, Foran's on Woodward is an excellent choice. Atwater Block brewery is a bit further up the river on Jefferson if you want to try another microbrew, but I think Motor City is better. If you want a place you can walk to from your hotel, Detroit Beer Company on Broadway is ok.

So, I live in Detroit, near Motor City Brewing, and have lived here for several years. It is a great city with tons of amazing people and excellent bars, restaurants, venues, etc. The problem is there is a lot of crap as well, and most of the tourists get steered towards the ****ty places because they are easier to find. Downtown is not any more dangerous than other big cities, and just like those big cities you need to use more common sense. Be open minded and try to look at Detroit from many different angles. People who focus on a few blighted spots here and there miss what an amazingly interesting place this is.

Please let me know if you have any questions before your visit, so feel free to send me a PM.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

^^^
Nailed it. Detroit is like going to any other big city. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

If you want a really good liquor store with a great selection, go to Super Liquor IV in Ann Arbor. It's very rare that I say anything nice about that city, but it has one of the best selections I've ever seen.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #7
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
Three Floyds
May have some trouble with Three Floyds, they've stopped distributing to Ohio and Michigan. From their website:

Quote:
Three Floyds is now only available in Indiana & Illinois
Which really sucks 'cause I enjoyed getting their brews in Michigan when visiting the inlaws.

Good luck with the hunt, at any rate.

Quick Reply