Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > What's with all the Sierra Nevada Pale hate?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #21
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,046
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I can't recall ever seeing anyone talk smack about SNPA. I see dislike for Sam Adams (which I also think is mostly misplaced), but never for Sierra Nevada. It's a helluva good beer.
Well, now you can add one to the list. I hate....HATE everything by Siera Navada, even the Bigfoot Barelywine (although, I haven't had an aged one and apperently at the 5 year old mark it's amazing....but then again people say their Pale Ale is amazing to). Bigfoot was one of my first drain pours.

I like hops, I really do, I can handle bitter in decent proportions as well. But there is something about SA that bugs me and it's the bitterness. They just cram it down your throat (and some how they came up with Torpedo which crames even more of that bitterness into it). It's absolutely disqusting and if that's the only thing on tap besides BMC, I'll actually drink the BMC (which is scary to even think about).

Now, I was a West Coaster for over 5 years (Los Angles) and yes, it's ef-ing everywhere. But my hatred does not come from that. Infact, I'm happy that's it's everywhere, not many micro brews get that distinction and that helps people break out of their BMC mentality when they realise the SA they've been drinking is a micro brew.

But I just can't STAND the stuff.....blegh!
__________________

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

imaguitargod is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 AM   #22
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatDuc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Leland, NC
Posts: 1,624
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Out west I prefer Mirror Pond, but I'm an SNPA fan as well.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Every brewer here would tuck in his junk to have this opportunity.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets
FatDuc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #23
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,445
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

I can't say that I've ever heard any SNPA hatin', apart from BMC drinkers who aren't prepared to actually taste hops. It's probably my favorite, widely available beer.

__________________
BlindLemonLars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #24
-TH-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zeeland, Michigan
Posts: 981
Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I would definitely call it my "gateway" beer - in that it opened my eyes to (good) pale ales and that hop flavor that I now love. I tried a sixer recently and now I think it is just ok. But I haven't heard much negativity about it, other than a BMC'er saying "I don't like that beer because it is too hoppy". I would also add that its not super popular around here (michigan) with all the great microbrews here.

__________________
TH

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com
-TH- is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #25
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I bought a 6er after reading good things about it and being out of homebrew. I got it home and opened the first and was frankly disappointed. It's not bad, but it's not all that great. For the price (or $1 less) I would have preferred to have a 6 pack of Deschutes Mirror Pond, and next time I'll buy that instead.
Mirror Pond is probably a better pale overall, and you get it reasonably fresh up there which helps a lot.

That said, I still do like SNPA a lot. It is a good pale for when you want to drink pale ale. I don't see a lot of hate when it comes to it either. There's that one guy up there who doesn't like anything from SN, and he's a lot like me who really doesn't like anything from Rogue. I swear that some breweries are just not to the taste of certain people.
__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #26
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Well, now you can add one to the list. I hate....HATE everything by Siera Navada, even the Bigfoot Barelywine (although, I haven't had an aged one and apperently at the 5 year old mark it's amazing....but then again people say their Pale Ale is amazing to). Bigfoot was one of my first drain pours.

I like hops, I really do, I can handle bitter in decent proportions as well. But there is something about SA that bugs me and it's the bitterness. They just cram it down your throat (and some how they came up with Torpedo which crames even more of that bitterness into it). It's absolutely disqusting and if that's the only thing on tap besides BMC, I'll actually drink the BMC (which is scary to even think about).

Now, I was a West Coaster for over 5 years (Los Angles) and yes, it's ef-ing everywhere. But my hatred does not come from that. Infact, I'm happy that's it's everywhere, not many micro brews get that distinction and that helps people break out of their BMC mentality when they realise the SA they've been drinking is a micro brew.

But I just can't STAND the stuff.....blegh!
No offense but, when it comes to beer, LA isn't really on the West Coast IYKWIM.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #27
heinz57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
No offense but, when it comes to beer, LA isn't really on the West Coast IYKWIM.
I don't understand this at all.
__________________
heinz57 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #28
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,445
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
I don't understand this at all.
Really? I've lived here my whole life and have great affection for the area, but it's not a good beer town.

I'd say it's a great homebrewing area though, with a few good shops and a number of large and active homebrew clubs.
__________________
BlindLemonLars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #29
heinz57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
Really? I've lived here my whole life and have great affection for the area, but it's not a good beer town.

I'd say it's a great homebrewing area though, with a few good shops and a number of large and active homebrew clubs.
Yeah, I think brewery count isn't the only discerning factor for me. The homebrew club/shop availability and pub selection hasn't given me a reason to complain. Also, so many breweries are within a stone's throw of LA, at least in terms of distribution (especially San Diego), that I've been more than content.
__________________
heinz57 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 AM   #30
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

LA really is a dark spot when it comes to breweries. They're starting to get better bars, but for a city of that size, it is kind of sad. There's so much good happening on this coast, and for some reason, all of LA is a wasteland.

__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Michael_Currie Commercial Brew Discussion 12 12-15-2013 04:46 PM
All-Grain - High Sierra (Sierra Nevada) Pale Ale The Pol Recipes/Ingredients 45 05-04-2013 07:50 PM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Brewsmith Commercial Brew Discussion 36 09-13-2011 01:51 PM
sierra nevada pale ale FEARDIZ Commercial Brew Discussion 14 12-03-2007 09:57 PM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale TREMBLE Commercial Brew Discussion 16 11-08-2006 04:40 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS