Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > What's with all the Sierra Nevada Pale hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #21
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I can't recall ever seeing anyone talk smack about SNPA. I see dislike for Sam Adams (which I also think is mostly misplaced), but never for Sierra Nevada. It's a helluva good beer.
Well, now you can add one to the list. I hate....HATE everything by Siera Navada, even the Bigfoot Barelywine (although, I haven't had an aged one and apperently at the 5 year old mark it's amazing....but then again people say their Pale Ale is amazing to). Bigfoot was one of my first drain pours.

I like hops, I really do, I can handle bitter in decent proportions as well. But there is something about SA that bugs me and it's the bitterness. They just cram it down your throat (and some how they came up with Torpedo which crames even more of that bitterness into it). It's absolutely disqusting and if that's the only thing on tap besides BMC, I'll actually drink the BMC (which is scary to even think about).

Now, I was a West Coaster for over 5 years (Los Angles) and yes, it's ef-ing everywhere. But my hatred does not come from that. Infact, I'm happy that's it's everywhere, not many micro brews get that distinction and that helps people break out of their BMC mentality when they realise the SA they've been drinking is a micro brew.

But I just can't STAND the stuff.....blegh!

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 AM   #22
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Out west I prefer Mirror Pond, but I'm an SNPA fan as well.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #23
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I can't say that I've ever heard any SNPA hatin', apart from BMC drinkers who aren't prepared to actually taste hops. It's probably my favorite, widely available beer.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #24
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would definitely call it my "gateway" beer - in that it opened my eyes to (good) pale ales and that hop flavor that I now love. I tried a sixer recently and now I think it is just ok. But I haven't heard much negativity about it, other than a BMC'er saying "I don't like that beer because it is too hoppy". I would also add that its not super popular around here (michigan) with all the great microbrews here.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #25
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I bought a 6er after reading good things about it and being out of homebrew. I got it home and opened the first and was frankly disappointed. It's not bad, but it's not all that great. For the price (or $1 less) I would have preferred to have a 6 pack of Deschutes Mirror Pond, and next time I'll buy that instead.
Mirror Pond is probably a better pale overall, and you get it reasonably fresh up there which helps a lot.

That said, I still do like SNPA a lot. It is a good pale for when you want to drink pale ale. I don't see a lot of hate when it comes to it either. There's that one guy up there who doesn't like anything from SN, and he's a lot like me who really doesn't like anything from Rogue. I swear that some breweries are just not to the taste of certain people.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #26
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Well, now you can add one to the list. I hate....HATE everything by Siera Navada, even the Bigfoot Barelywine (although, I haven't had an aged one and apperently at the 5 year old mark it's amazing....but then again people say their Pale Ale is amazing to). Bigfoot was one of my first drain pours.

I like hops, I really do, I can handle bitter in decent proportions as well. But there is something about SA that bugs me and it's the bitterness. They just cram it down your throat (and some how they came up with Torpedo which crames even more of that bitterness into it). It's absolutely disqusting and if that's the only thing on tap besides BMC, I'll actually drink the BMC (which is scary to even think about).

Now, I was a West Coaster for over 5 years (Los Angles) and yes, it's ef-ing everywhere. But my hatred does not come from that. Infact, I'm happy that's it's everywhere, not many micro brews get that distinction and that helps people break out of their BMC mentality when they realise the SA they've been drinking is a micro brew.

But I just can't STAND the stuff.....blegh!
No offense but, when it comes to beer, LA isn't really on the West Coast IYKWIM.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #27
heinz57
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
No offense but, when it comes to beer, LA isn't really on the West Coast IYKWIM.
I don't understand this at all.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #28
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
I don't understand this at all.
Really? I've lived here my whole life and have great affection for the area, but it's not a good beer town.

I'd say it's a great homebrewing area though, with a few good shops and a number of large and active homebrew clubs.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #29
heinz57
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
Really? I've lived here my whole life and have great affection for the area, but it's not a good beer town.

I'd say it's a great homebrewing area though, with a few good shops and a number of large and active homebrew clubs.
Yeah, I think brewery count isn't the only discerning factor for me. The homebrew club/shop availability and pub selection hasn't given me a reason to complain. Also, so many breweries are within a stone's throw of LA, at least in terms of distribution (especially San Diego), that I've been more than content.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 AM   #30
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

LA really is a dark spot when it comes to breweries. They're starting to get better bars, but for a city of that size, it is kind of sad. There's so much good happening on this coast, and for some reason, all of LA is a wasteland.

Quick Reply