Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > What's with all the Sierra Nevada Pale hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
size
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's with all the Sierra Nevada Pale hate?

I've seen Sierra Nevada's PA called "california piss-beer", "disgusting", and plenty of other things.

I think it's just fine. Now I'm not claiming it to be one of the better American PA's, because it isn't. And i'm not saying it isn't slightly overpriced, because it is. But it certainly isn't piss-beer, and as a standard PA I think it's just fine. And I don't see it claiming to be any more than it actually is.

Now granted, I live in Iowa, and we just don't get a very good selection here. But I'm perfectly satisfied with a 6er of Sierra Nevada when I'm not dead broke. But even when I lived in Colorado I still considered it an all-right pale.

Why does everyone hate it so much? Or have I just run into a select few people who hate it? I get the feeling most of the hate stems from the west coast...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think you will find that around here most people enjoy SNPA. You are probably right about the west coast slight issue, though

Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I like it. It's not my favorite beer, but it's a good standard beer to drink when there aren't any real craft offerings. I buy it once in a while by the 6er, but not too often!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Here is Cali it is hard not to turn the corner and find a place that has it and seems like the defacto standard APA for California.

I will certainly have one if I don't think there is anything better on tap and be just fine with that. It is a good fall back brew.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
tireater
Recipes 

I really like the hoppier versions like Harvest or Torpedo...
I have 32 cases of the bottles so I voted with my liver...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sierra Nevada is a world class brewery IMO. They continue to innovate,and through their pilot brewery are in tuned with the homebrewing community.
SNPA is a standard, and while not cutting edge, is certainly a very good beer.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I haven't seen the SN hatred. I don't buy SNPA because I'm not a big APA fan, but I'd never turn one down. SN makes some kick ass beers and I swear their beers have the some of the most awesome head I've ever seen, even at a year plus.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

With as many members as this forum has from all over the world, you can name practically any beer and you'll find a few people that that think it sucks. Just people's personal opinions...

I like SNPA, but it's definitely not in my top 10. If you like it, drink it and enjoy it

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I can't recall ever seeing anyone talk smack about SNPA. I see dislike for Sam Adams (which I also think is mostly misplaced), but never for Sierra Nevada. It's a helluva good beer.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think SNPA is a great drinking APA. It is smooth and a nice size for drinking a ton of. No complaints here. I think if you are saying SNPA sucks you are trying to flex your beer snob muscles a little too hard.

It isn't supposed to be a huge crazy beer, it is just a darn good drinking beer.

Quick Reply